Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Is Stepping Stone good for complete beginner? IT'S FINISHED! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/stepping-stone-good-complete-beginner-its-finished-t4431.html)

Kyiav10 03-20-2008 10:46 PM

I think it is absolutley beautiful. And great work for a first time quilter.

Kyia

Lucky Patsy's 03-20-2008 10:52 PM

It's fabulous! I love the color choices. You are hooked, girl, I can tell!

RisingPhoenix 03-21-2008 04:41 AM

Thank you all so much! As I said, I had so much fun doing this quilt. I had a hard time deciding what colors to use, but then I figured, "hey, it's my first quilt, if the colors don't turn out right I can blame it on lack of experience". :mrgreen: So I picked colors I like, mainly the blue and purple. (I chose the red and green because, well, I need four colors.)

There are some mistakes in it, but I really surprised myself with just how unnoticeable they are. (Few bunches here and there.) I was just happy it came out to the measurements it was supposed to. One thing about that though, it came out square and when I picked the pattern, I didn't really think much about that. That's why I added the border, because I wanted to make it a bit longer top to bottom, and less square. However, it didn't really turn out that way because I was changing and adding things as I went and had the backing material picked out and sewn together before I thought about adding the border. I ended up having to cut down the border on the top and bottom so the backing would fit, and the quilt turned out a slightly larger square than the pattern. :lol:

I'm actually working on a sampler now. I've got the blocks done already and have realized it's going to be a pretty small with only 6 6 1/2 in blocks. But hey, it's not really about the finished product this time. I wanted to learn the different types of blocks and that's exactly what this has done for me. So, I'm going to finish it and hang it up somewhere.

Again, thanks for all the kind words! It means a lot!

Baren*eh*ked_canadian 03-21-2008 05:13 AM

That is so nice! I think I might have to try that one too :)
I'm a very new quilter too, I just finished my first this week, and now I'm starting a baby quilt, but it's a jewel box pattern, a little trickier to wrap my little brain around.
I have lots of purple fabric and I think I'll put it to good use...

Joan 03-21-2008 08:53 AM

That is a beautiful quilt and your choices of colors are perfect! My first quilt was a railroad track pattern and I had great success, too. All I do now is design quilts in my mind continually......... Soon you'll have several started (like me), not finished but having lots of fun!

Pam Pollock 03-21-2008 01:48 PM

You did great!! I like your color choices just fine!! Sounds like the quilt bug has bit you for sure!! It is a lot of fun isn't it? Keep up the good work & on to the next project!! :D