Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Sticker Shock, took sewing machine in for maintenance (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sticker-shock-took-sewing-machine-maintenance-t182106.html)

Caroline S 03-08-2012 03:29 PM

Sticker Shock, took sewing machine in for maintenance

Oooh Ouch. I took my Elna 7300 in for maintenance. She sure needed it because I purchased her three years ago and had never had her cleaned and serviced. Price is going to be $162.00 not including tax and any parts if needed. Makes me LOVE my vintage machine even more. That is more money than an oil change and service for my truck.:eek:

Raggiemom 03-08-2012 03:38 PM

Ouch is right! Since I moved to Cincinnati just before Christmas, I wasn't sure how much a regular cleaning/service was going to cost on m Janome. I paid $100 a couple hours north of here and it's only going to be $69 here!

ckcowl 03-08-2012 03:42 PM

wow! makes me appreciate my service guy even more! he charges me $40 for a cleaning/tune up- only extra is if parts are needed for my Viking....if i was quoted over $100 i think i would learn to do it myself- quick.
i do take good care of my machine- bought the little vacuum attachment kit so i can vacuum it all out frequently= seldom have to take it in & he always comments on how well it is maintained- maybe thats part of the in-expense- but i think that's what he charges everyone.

ckcowl 03-08-2012 03:43 PM

wow! makes me appreciate my service guy even more! he charges me $40 for a cleaning/tune up- only extra is if parts are needed for my Viking....if i was quoted over $100 i think i would learn to do it myself- quick.
i do take good care of my machine- bought the little vacuum attachment kit so i can vacuum it all out frequently= seldom have to take it in & he always comments on how well it is maintained- maybe thats part of the in-expense- but i think that's what he charges everyone.

QuiltnNan 03-08-2012 03:48 PM

yikes, that seems steep.

Jan in VA 03-08-2012 04:12 PM

My recent Bernina service with "the best in the industry" (because he trains so many of the national repair people), on a 1031 that has not been serviced for 8 years, was less than $100. It came home purring, shiny clean inside and out, and with a mile on both our faces!

This machine is not computerized, that may have had something to do with it, but I can really make some fabulous quilts on it and he complimented me on it's daily care in my hands. So glad I knew to travel 4 hours to take it to him!

Jan in VA

Caroline S 03-08-2012 04:17 PM

Yep, the 7300 is computerized. It is my first and last. Just wish I knew enough to get inside her and take the dust bunnies out. I do make sure that I clean her after every project and every two bobbins or so depending on what the project is. The machine is out of warranty so perhaps I will consider DIY next time.

Handcraftsbyjen 03-08-2012 05:04 PM

My Bernina 180, which is computerized as well isn't that much. That's crazy!

Candace 03-08-2012 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by Caroline S (Post 5043030)
Yep, the 7300 is computerized. It is my first and last. Just wish I knew enough to get inside her and take the dust bunnies out. I do make sure that I clean her after every project and every two bobbins or so depending on what the project is. The machine is out of warranty so perhaps I will consider DIY next time.

It's 3 years old and out of warranty already?

Prism99 03-08-2012 08:35 PM

I don't take my Bernina 1230 in for service anymore, in part because of the ridiculous prices. I'm careful to oil the shuttle race and clean out lint build-up, and really that's all it needs. I have a little vacuum attachment that works well, although I have also just duct-tape a straw to my regular vacuum's crevice tool and used the regular vacuum.

It was the last time I got it serviced that decided me against taking it in anymore. I had left the upper tension on 4 for some invisible applique I had been doing. When I got the machine back, it was still on 4 and I was $100+ lighter in the pocketbook. Factory standard setting is 5. This means that if the tech tested any stitches at all (and my bet is he didn't bother), they were tested on the wrong tension setting. Machine sewed the same going in and out -- wonderfully well! That must have been 12+ years ago. Machine hasn't been in and still sews the same. :)