Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Sticky rat trap glue and a quilt-THank you all and RESULTS!!!UPDATE (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sticky-rat-trap-glue-quilt-thank-you-all-results-update-t8890.html)

Cathy M 07-10-2008 08:16 AM

From the medical end of this, the adhesive remover we use all the time is actually non-acetone finger nail polish remover pads. I've used it on tons of drapes and such, never had it stain after washing it out. The little pads are single use and come in a box of 100. Am pretty sure you can get the individual pads from any beauty supply shop or just use it straight out of the bottle.

tlrnhi 07-11-2008 04:12 AM

Well, thinking I could get all the glue out was a bit of a task, but I did it.
It was all washed and I layed it out to dry. Noticed that where it was tied, it WAS NOT tied anymore, so ALL the batting bunched up and was a complete mess. So, I tried to rip out the binding. Didn't work since the stitch was a heart stitch all around the binding. Wasn't going good. Took me 2 hours to get 2 hearts out, so I had to cut the entire binding off. UGH!!
So, now it's laying on the floor, waiting to be sandwiched again, which will happen AFTER I get back from my trip.
I just wished this child of mine would have told me about this happening WHEN it happened back about 10 months ago. I could have fixed it then instead of now. UGH! KIDS!!!

sandpat 07-11-2008 04:29 AM

Ugh Terri, sorry you ended up with a mess. Really happy to hear that the mineral oil worked on the sticky stuff. I'd have to give the DD a serious hard stare with my "evil eyeball" about the delay :lol: Then of course, I'd dive right in and fix it...just like you did.

Glad the kitty is ok.

tlrnhi 07-11-2008 04:46 AM

It was Canola Oil. The website I went to said Vegetable Oil, but I didn't have any. Oh well...it worked.
Oh yes....daughter WILL get a good talking to!
She knows better! She would come to me right before they would be ready to go out to resew a button or hook or snap on her outfit, but not this! Maybe she thought I'd be upset if I got it from her in person, I dunno.....

babeegirl 07-11-2008 06:55 AM

The thing about those kinds of traps is...if they work, all you end up with is one very stuck, very mad rat. I hope the management company plans on coming in to do the removal of said stuck/mad rat. I sure wouldnt want to be the one to do it!

Moonpi 07-11-2008 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by babeegirl
The thing about those kinds of traps is...if they work, all you end up with is one very stuck, very mad rat. I hope the management company plans on coming in to do the removal of said stuck/mad rat. I sure wouldnt want to be the one to do it!

Actually, they work extremely well, as the varmit tries to gnaw his stuck parts loose, it sticks its nose and mouth shut and suffocates painlessly. That is why they are clearly marked not to be used in areas where domestic pets have access. Apparently, the one who placed them there either hated cats or is extremely illiterate, stupid, or both.

Terri, maybe you should barter the extra work with your daughter - have her do onerous tasks for the same amount of time it takes you to re-work the quilt. Glad the glue came out.

tlrnhi 07-11-2008 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by Moonpi

Originally Posted by babeegirl

Actually, they work extremely well, as the varmit tries to gnaw his stuck parts loose, it sticks its nose and mouth shut and suffocates painlessly. That is why they are clearly marked not to be used in areas where domestic pets have access. Apparently, the one who placed them there either hated cats or is extremely illiterate, stupid, or both.

Terri, maybe you should barter the extra work with your daughter - have her do onerous tasks for the same amount of time it takes you to re-work the quilt. Glad the glue came out.

Oh yes...I should do that, but since she lives across this giant pond from me, that's a bit of a problem. lol

Minda 07-11-2008 06:41 PM

I saw a mouse stuck on a glue trap where I worked several years ago. We employees were horrified that no one could do anything to help it. It was bloody and certainly didn't suffocate painlessly. (Is any kind of suffocation painless?) We don't know how long it was stuck there, but it was still breathing so the janitor took it away and killed it. I know we can't let little critters overrun our homes, but there are certainly more humane ways to get rid of them. I'm now stepping down off of my soapbox.

I hope the kitty is alright, and that your're able to get the glue out of the quilt. We just put too much work into our treasures to have them ruined like that. :(