Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   stinky Fiskars self healing cutting mat (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/stinky-fiskars-self-healing-cutting-mat-t53311.html)

Marcia_PA 07-07-2010 12:25 PM

I bought a new self healing mat at JoAnn's the other day and boy does it smell! I put it in our entryway to air out but after a week it still has a strong chemical odor. Will it ever stop smelling? Any ideas for speeding up the de-stinking process? :(

Thanks for suggestions.
Marcia

Aunt Doggie 07-07-2010 12:34 PM

Coffee grounds seems to take out odors for me!
Why not shake a little ground coffee (fresh! Not Brewed! :lol: ) on top of the mat...

It will just brush off and not mark the mat...

Never had one that smelled though....

cjomomma 07-07-2010 12:38 PM

I bought one from WM and it had a strong rubbery smell. It took a couple of weeks for it to go away either that or I just got used to the smell. I don't know which.

MarthaVA 07-07-2010 12:44 PM

Hm, I bought one just a week ago and it doesn't smell....but do a search on here. I think that I remember someone else with this problem....

mlaceruby 07-07-2010 12:49 PM

Some of them do smell really bad
I spritzed mine with fabreeze

Rosyhf 07-07-2010 12:54 PM

I bet they were made in China lol. I have the American ones and have had them for years and still going strong and nevery a stinky lol.....

remember you can cut also on the wrong side if you don't need the lines and numbers, I don't use those ..just my ruler.

QBeth 07-07-2010 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by Marcia_PA
I bought a new self healing mat at JoAnn's the other day and boy does it smell! I put it in our entryway to air out but after a week it still has a strong chemical odor. Will it ever stop smelling? Any ideas for speeding up the de-stinking process? :(

Thanks for suggestions.
Marcia

This was discussed on another thread. Have you tried Searching for it? It may have additional suggestions.

Marcia_PA 07-07-2010 01:58 PM

Thanks--I did the search and for some the smell never went away--they just returned it or threw it away. I don't know whether to try some of the suggestions or just take it back. I got a good deal--50% off plus additional 10% off coupon.

I never thought about looking at their website: Fiskar's suggestions from their website:
"My mat has a funny odor, what is this?

The odor is caused by the self-healing materials and sometimes the odor can be very strong. There are some tricks to get the odor out:

1. Wash the mat with a mild soap and let it air out. This may take a few weeks
2. Spray Febreeze on the mat and let is air out.

Store the mat in a sealed container with some coffee beans or some crumpled up newspaper. Those two items help absorb any odor."

I have lots of newspaper, so maybe I'll try that first.

Thank you for your help.
Marcia

moonrise 07-07-2010 01:59 PM

Kitty litter might work, too.

New litter, of course. he he :lol: :wink:

Kitsie 07-07-2010 02:33 PM

I have a brand new Fiskars 18 x 24 and it has no smell at all. Sorry you guys!