Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Stitch Length (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/stitch-length-t115941.html)

Cottontop 04-13-2011 06:31 PM

Got a new Janome, finally (with a lot of help from friends) feel like I can machine quilt my 4-square. Just one question: What stitch length do you use? Help.

EasyPeezy 04-13-2011 07:02 PM

Congratulations on your new Janome. I use 1.8 on mine.

amandasgramma 04-13-2011 07:07 PM

I use 2.2....that's about as small as I want it in case I have to frog it!

Holice 04-13-2011 07:27 PM

if you are doing straight walking foot quilting then lengthen the stitch a bit to allow for the additional thickness. Your default setting for stitch length is for two single pieces of fabric. If you are free motion quilting then strive for about the same length (3.0).

kraftykimberly 04-13-2011 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by Holice
if you are doing straight walking foot quilting then lengthen the stitch a bit to allow for the additional thickness. Your default setting for stitch length is for two single pieces of fabric. If you are free motion quilting then strive for about the same length (3.0).

Holice help me out please. 3.0 stitch length on FMQ, everybody is telling me zero because you move the quilt creating your own stitch length. Im just learning FMQ so I welcome any tidbits you might have for me. What do you get when you use 3.0?

TonnieLoree 04-13-2011 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by kraftykimberly

Originally Posted by Holice

Holice help me out please. 3.0 stitch length on FMQ, everybody is telling me zero because you move the quilt creating your own stitch length. Im just learning FMQ so I welcome any tidbits you might have for me. What do you get when you use 3.0?

I agree with Holice! 3 is what I use for FMQ. Always have and always will. (The stitch length, not that I always agree with Holice) :lol: Make a practice square and try them all. See what works better for you! You might decide were all full of it!

EasyPeezy 04-13-2011 08:07 PM

Sorry, I meant 1.8 for piecing and 2.5 when I SID.

tjradj 04-13-2011 08:11 PM

I like to use 3.0 when straight stitching like SITD or cross hatching. When FMQ, it doesn't matter what the stitch length on the machine is because I have the feed dogs down and use the darning foot, so I'm in control of the stitch length. I try to keep it at an even length of about 2.5-3.0 but when doing small work or thread painting, anything goes!

Marion Jean 04-14-2011 03:24 AM

Enjoy your new Janome. I've had one for about 5 years and still love it :) Sometimes I'll do small projects, like placemats, and play around with the decorative stitches just for fun.

mamaw 04-14-2011 03:53 AM

I use 2.2 for piecing