Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Storage and organazation? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/storage-organazation-t204.html)

Becky 02-07-2007 01:47 AM

I send prayers that you will stay focused. I know it's hard when all this fabric is around and your mind wanders on what you could do with this one or that one. Your juices get going and it's hard, Keep me in your warm thoughts ladies, I'm getting ready to move and I'm really having a hard time, packing up my sewing rm. I know once it's packed up. I'm not going to be able to get to my sewing, untill we're moved and close to unpacked. And it will be the last room I get to, as far as getting setup in the new house, And if I don't make a few stitches everyday I really get unraveled. And now I'll have to reorganize everything, I'm frustrated already, and we've got 2 wks before the move.

patricej 02-07-2007 03:07 AM

Pack it last. You may need to retreat once in a while to relieve the pressure of all the other moving tasks.

No way I could leave my sewing room til last once I got to the new place. I'd probably unpack that before I did the kitchen. There's always takeout and drive-thru's. LOL

You probably already know this but the key to unpacking is to resist the temptation to just cram things in wherever they fit when packing. If you haven't already, plan the layout and storage systems for the new sewing room. As you pack here, box and label things according to where in the room you want them to go as you unpack. Prioritize and number the boxes accordingly. List contents in detail on the outside of the boxes. Keep your marker handy the whole time. As you put something in a box, add it to the list right away. Keep and update a separate paper list, too, to remind you what you should be finding as you organize and unpack at the new place. It's better have have more properly organized boxes than to have just a few jampacked with who-knows-what. To keep the smaller boxes from getting lost in the shuffle, consider putting them together inside bigger boxes - again making sure to list the small-box numbers on the outside of the big boxes. Put the smaller boxes into the bigger ones in numerical order.

When you get to the new place, if you have an attack of just-gotta-quilt, you'll be able to go straight to the boxes you really need. No need to unpack the whole room at once. And - since I'm piling on the opinions anyway - leave things in the boxes until you actually need to use them the first time. After a few months, anything still in a box might be a good candidate for a yard sale or charity thrift shop.

Sorry to bore you with a book, and apologize if I've wasted everybody's time reading stuff they've already know for years. It's a work-related habit. I work in a social services agency. We have so many clients who don't know what they're doing, most of us automatically switch into maternal-advice mode even when talking to those who do. Just in case. (ok. not merely a habit. more like a sickness! LOL? :oops: )

kathy 02-07-2007 03:56 AM

Whew! I'm out of breath just reading. LOL Sure glad I'm not moving, that sounds like a lot of work. However I'm married to Mr. Clean and we are cleaning out our attic and doing exactly that. Everything is going into plastic containers with a lable of everything that's in it. We've only been in the house for 5 years so it's not really packed full with junk. This past weekend my daughters were down and one of them wanted a shirt that was hers as a child so she could put it on her baby and take a picture. I was able to tell her exactly which box to look in. She said WOW I've never seen an attic like this, so then everybody had to go look. Now I'm out of breath again. LOL
kathy

Norah 02-07-2007 05:26 AM

Becky
I am a sewing addict who has moved alot, and I know what you mean about sewing every day. What I recommend is cutting out a project and putting it in a bag. I prefer a hand project when I am traveling, of course, but if you will have access to your machine...... With all the different fabrics already cut, it really doesn't take much room to keep a project handy. I put in my scissors, thimble, needle and thread, and any marking tools I might need. I have a yoyo quilt that I take when I go to the Dr. or something. I can fit everything I need for a day or two in a sandwich bag. Good luck on you move.

Becky 02-07-2007 07:03 AM

Patrice,Kathy, Norah,

What GEMS, you are. I appreciate you so much, Your words of wisdom, experience, and just down right Caring, helps me to not feel so anxious and in a tither. In fact my daughter-n-law just called me to say that she was going to help me move my sewing room, because she knows how important it is to me, and getting everything in the right place. ( I taught my sons to marry smart) And they married some real special ladies. I'm blessed that they like me. But thank-you and I'm using your well organized advice.

Neva Jones 02-07-2007 07:18 AM

I am so glad I found the gtoup I am fix to move to my DH is fixing my sew room now and we are useing some hint I saw this morning take a book shelf put it to top room to put farber on THANK YOU I well read this all way it is great Neva

Becky 02-07-2007 07:51 AM

Neva
Happy moving and take care, be careful.

vicki reno 02-07-2007 09:30 AM

Good luck to all who are moving. I will etire in 2 years and be facing the same thing myself. Bes of luck!

Yvonne 02-07-2007 09:32 AM

Becky,
You've already got some wonderful words of wisdom here but I'll add my two cents worth also.

My daughter married a military man and they move every two years or so. A wise woman told her to fill one box with everything she will need right away and label it to be unpacked first. In this box she puts enough dishes, flatware, pans, bedding, clothes etc. that they will need for those first days after the move. This has been a sanity saver for her and I think it can be adapted to the sewing room!

When we go on a trip I always plan a project of handwork to take with me. It keeps me occupied on the plane and in the hotel. I think moving would be a good time to do a handwork project.

Have a safe move. Unpack a little, sit down and stitch a little and then you'll be ready to unpack another little. :lol: You'll be done before you know it!

judyjo 02-07-2007 02:00 PM

What great ideas you all have! I used the method of marking boxes, etc that someone mentioned and it really worked out well when we retired and moved from a 9 room house to a 4 room house. I'm only missing one thing. That is a photo album from high school days which I know I packed. After 11 years here it still hasn't surfaced. I know it's down cellar somewhere in my husband's mess!! I'm never moving again!!! I keep hand projects ready too for visits to the doctor, traveling, etc. But you all had so many more ideas, as well. What a group we have!! It's so nice to be able to share ideas.

judyjo