Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Storing Quilts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/storing-quilts-t46698.html)

Honey 05-22-2010 12:23 AM

I would like opinions on the best way to store quilts, both old and new. I am making some for the future and want them to be in great shape when I need them. Thanks in advance.

sewcrafty 05-22-2010 02:09 AM

What I heard is acid free tissue paper. Can't say for sure, because I don't have a quilt that I've made for me yet! :shock: All of them have been given away to friends, family, charities. Not storing yet. :cry:

JenniePenny 05-22-2010 02:31 AM

Dry environment, no plastic bags. Every once in a while, take them out of storage, unfold them, and then refold in a different way so the creases don't permanently stay in the batting.

ckcowl 05-22-2010 02:54 AM

purchase acid free storage boxes and acid free tissue paper, you roll the tissue paper and place it in the folds to help avoid creases, take them out every 3-6 months spread out and air, then refold in a different way to avoid crease lines.
another way which is great if it's possible is to lay them out on a guest bed, layers of quilts spread out, no creases to worry about and you have a (quilt show) on display all the time, you just peel them back one at a time to show them off...of course, you need a seldom/never used bed to do it this way and still have to rotate them on occassion and avoid sunlight.
you can purchase zippered blanket (bags) but get the ones that are a type of canvas, not the plastic ones, you want it to breath and not collect humidity, if you use those i would get them out more often to check on them.
cedar 'hope=chests' are NOT recommended, the acid in the cedar will discolor your quilts and cause other issues over the long haul, but i do think you can get acid free liners for some chests. i don't know about putting them into the blanket bag then into a chest....

CarrieAnne 05-22-2010 04:24 AM

Wow, I was going to recommend a chest....you learn something new everyday!

sueisallaboutquilts 05-22-2010 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
purchase acid free storage boxes and acid free tissue paper, you roll the tissue paper and place it in the folds to help avoid creases, take them out every 3-6 months spread out and air, then refold in a different way to avoid crease lines.
another way which is great if it's possible is to lay them out on a guest bed, layers of quilts spread out, no creases to worry about and you have a (quilt show) on display all the time, you just peel them back one at a time to show them off...of course, you need a seldom/never used bed to do it this way and still have to rotate them on occassion and avoid sunlight.
you can purchase zippered blanket (bags) but get the ones that are a type of canvas, not the plastic ones, you want it to breath and not collect humidity, if you use those i would get them out more often to check on them.
cedar 'hope=chests' are NOT recommended, the acid in the cedar will discolor your quilts and cause other issues over the long haul, but i do think you can get acid free liners for some chests. i don't know about putting them into the blanket bag then into a chest....

Great advice. This is what I've read in many places. I love the bed idea but I don't have a spare bed to stack mine at this time.

Honey 05-22-2010 07:17 AM

I do have a spare bed and that sounds like a great idea. Thanks so much.

shaverg 05-22-2010 07:23 AM

I save old pillow cases and use them to store my quilts.

amma 05-22-2010 12:52 PM

I have been thinking about making storage bags for them out of cotton fabric. Either using zippers or fold over closures like a sandwich bag. :D:D:D

ann clare 05-22-2010 01:03 PM

Make a matching pillow slip or drawstring bag from your fabric for storage when making your quilt. Spare bed is the best place for your quilt (no creases). Cover with a sheet to protect from dust.