Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Straight of grain question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/straight-grain-question-t214363.html)

LynnVT 02-20-2013 11:24 AM

Straight of grain question

I'm working on a queen size quilt and have a question on cutting the borders. I'm using the Robert Kaufman app to figure amount of fabric needed, but noticed that they show borders cut across the fabric. I thought there was a discussion about cutting border fabrics along the selvedge, rather than across, in order to have a nice flat "hang" to the quilt. Does it really matter? I'm eager to go the next step, but am concerned about how it will look when it's done. Should you go across for top and bottom, and along the length for sides?

EasyPeezy 02-20-2013 11:33 AM

I prefer to cut my borders parallel to the selvage...less stretching that way.

LynnVT 02-20-2013 11:48 AM

Thanks, Easy. I realized after posting that there have been many threads on not saying "you should" do anything. But if there is a practical difference, I want to do what will work best.

NJ Quilter 02-20-2013 11:50 AM

About the biggest practical advantage that I can think of is that you get no seams in your borders when cutting LOF (aligned with selvedge) vs. WOF (selvedge to selvedge). If your quilt is small enough that you would have no seam by cutting WOF for top/bottom and it's not too directional, you could easily do both.

ghostrider 02-20-2013 12:16 PM

I cut the top and bottom borders on the crosswise grain (WOF) and the side borders on the lengthwise grain (LOF). That way, once they're on the quilt, the grain is all running the same way (LOF).

PaperPrincess 02-20-2013 12:29 PM

Fabric has less stretch length wise, so the quilt is a bit less likely to pull out of shape while quilting if you cut the borders length of fabric. After it's quilted, I don't know as there is a difference in the drape. I let the print dictate how I'm going to handle the border fabric.

Jan in VA 02-20-2013 04:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I also prefer borders cut along the selvage, but.....for the times when there isn't enough fabric to do that, or the borders are pieced for whatever reason (by design or by necessity), here's a secret trick I began using many years ago to keep the outer edges from having any "give" and wave.

TWILL TAPE! Sold by the little package along with hem tape/rick rack/blanket binding at Joannes, etc.

Apply it IN the outside seam allowance (under the binding).

Jan in VA

GrannieAnnie 02-20-2013 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by LynnVT (Post 5875618)
I'm working on a queen size quilt and have a question on cutting the borders. I'm using the Robert Kaufman app to figure amount of fabric needed, but noticed that they show borders cut across the fabric. I thought there was a discussion about cutting border fabrics along the selvedge, rather than across, in order to have a nice flat "hang" to the quilt. Does it really matter? I'm eager to go the next step, but am concerned about how it will look when it's done. Should you go across for top and bottom, and along the length for sides?

I'm cheap. I refuse to buy enough fabric to cut borders along the selvage edge. When using WOF if you join the pieces with a bias seam, the seams don't show too much. And at most you'd have two joints.

QM 02-20-2013 05:25 PM

I made a large number of prize winning quilts before I ever heard of the importance of cutting longways. I simply quilt more heavily if there is extra fullness.

Lori S 02-20-2013 06:14 PM

I too prefer to use lenghtwise grain for borders. The wider the cut border the more the stretch becomes apparent. I have used cross grain or width of fabric , particularly for narrow borders, but I starch them so they stand up like cardboard prior to cutting.