Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Stubborn Little Tracing Papers bits from free motion Quilting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/stubborn-little-tracing-papers-bits-free-motion-quilting-t15016.html)

Quilting Aggi 01-04-2009 06:44 AM

I do have a question ... I am using the Connecting Threads tracing paper that you needle punch the design onto several layers, then you sew each layer design to an area of your quilt. Once it's quilted you have to tear away all the tracing paper. There are still little stubborn bits caught up in the stitches. Any good ideas how to remove those? Or do I have to wait until I wash the quilt when it is done?

I would appreciate ANY help any of you can give me!

Thanks!

babeegirl 01-04-2009 06:54 AM

tweezers will help to pull those out even though it's kind of tedious.

Quilting Aggi 01-04-2009 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by babeegirl
tweezers will help to pull those out even though it's kind of tedious.

Will it come out in the wash too do you think? There are so many of them!!! :cry:

patricej 01-04-2009 07:16 AM

tear off what you can, of course.

keep in mind that washing is likely to fluff up your batting and, therefore, tighten the stitches. soooooooooo ...

BEFORE you wash it, moisten what's left with water from a spray bottle. go over it with a hairbrush that has stiffish and dense - yet gentle - bristles.

AFTER you wash it and BEFORE the paper dries, brush it again. anything left after that will have to be tweezed. it'll be easier to get out while the paper is moist.

Quilting Aggi 01-04-2009 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
tear off what you can, of course.

keep in mind that washing is likely to fluff up your batting and, therefore, tighten the stitches. soooooooooo ...

BEFORE you wash it, moisten what's left with water from a spray bottle. go over it with a hairbrush that has stiffish and dense - yet gentle - bristles.

AFTER you wash it and BEFORE the paper dries, brush it again. anything left after that will have to be tweezed. it'll be easier to get out while the paper is moist.

Thanks so much Patrice!!!

Moonpi 01-04-2009 07:28 AM

Have you tried a clothes roller with the adhesive paper?

Quilting Aggi 01-04-2009 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by Moonpi
Have you tried a clothes roller with the adhesive paper?

That might be a good idea too! I'll have to pick one up the next time I'm passing by a dollar store. Thanks for the suggestion!

patricej 01-04-2009 09:37 AM

ummmm ... there's a reason i didn't suggest that. guess who tried it when she had a baZILLION itty bitty bits of paper to pick off a quilt. :lol:

it'll remove the loose bits, but won't help get those stubborn boogers clinging to the stitches.

Izy 01-04-2009 10:18 AM

Aggi...try an eraser, I have a fabric one that is quite soft, its great for removing the little bits of thread after ripping out seams too :roll:

GailG 01-10-2009 01:50 AM

Originally Posted by Izy
Aggi...try an eraser, I have a fabric one that is quite soft, its great for removing the little bits of thread after ripping out seams too :roll:

An eraser??? A fabric eraser?? I need to get out more. Never heard of it.