Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Stuck in a slump (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/stuck-slump-t149997.html)

Sewfanatic40 09-03-2011 04:21 AM

How long des it take to get un stuck? I havent sewn a quilt in two months I want to but I go to the material I get everything ready . I just cant force myself to cut the material . I know half of it will be cut wrong and Im gonna get really frustrated but . I want to do it i just cant DO IT . Im open to suggestions .

Tinabodina 09-03-2011 04:24 AM

I was in a slump for over 5 years. I even packed everything into storage boxes and stored all my fabric, supplies etc. Was I glad I kept everything. I am back and if I had to invest in all of it again, I could never made the things I am making. Don't give up. Don't feel guilty. It will be there in time. Focus on other interest and don't force yourself. :-(

sweetpea 09-03-2011 04:27 AM

Just know that if you do cut it wrong[which you won't] it can be sew back together {maybe nt in the pattern you are planing but in to something] It is time for you to QUIT be so hard on youself and have some fun. [ the frist cut is the hards] get to cutting and have so fun.

MISHNJIM 09-03-2011 04:28 AM

I get in those...I'm in one right now...What helps me is if I go to a class even if I'm not doing what they are. That way I get motivated again. Maybe that's what I need to do, my quilt group is doing a Braid class but I'm not interested in that, so maybe I'll just go with my own stuff...GOOD LUCK to the both of us...LOL

MZStitch 09-03-2011 04:33 AM

Baby steps. Not sure by your message why you feel you will cut everything wrong, perhaps the whole cutting out process is overwhelming for you? Baby steps. Take your list of cutting requirements, and one color of your fabric and make all the cuts for that one fabric today. Then step away, be happy with your accomplishment, make a checkmark next to your cuts made on your list and start again another day.
I find most of my mistakes made are when I'm tired, and just want to get it done.

Twisted Quilter 09-03-2011 06:20 AM

Sewfanatic, you're not alone. We all get in a slump every so often. Go to the search tab and put in quilting slump, there's a long list of topics and remedies.

You'll be back to yourself in no time! :thumbup:

Willa 09-03-2011 07:13 AM

Sorry for the slump. I guess I always get extra fabric in case I do make a mistake. As for cutting it wrong - sounds like a great reason for a scrappy or crazy quilt.

Emma S 09-03-2011 07:17 AM

I always get more quilting done in the fall and winter. Maybe with autumn just around the corner your enthusiasm will return.

blueangel 09-03-2011 07:30 AM

Ditto

Yarn or Fabric 09-03-2011 07:58 AM

I'd take a class. Taking a class or workshop always gets me out of a slump. If you don't have one nearby maybe we can do a quilt together here on the board... Just pick out a project and work on it together. ;)