Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Stuff you Use for Quilting, that isn't originally for Quilting!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/stuff-you-use-quilting-isnt-originally-quilting-t152963.html)

IowaStitcher 12-08-2012 01:51 PM

Best tool in the world to clean lint from sewing machine is a well washed mascara brush.

One stiletto I use is an old metal dart (from a dart board game) where the feathers have been broken off.

Greenheron 12-08-2012 02:40 PM

A carpenter's square, but not so much since the advent of plastic rulers.
Clear plastic candy containers, given-away by the market, which are great for sorting buttons, labels, cuffs and plackets from clothing deconstruction.

QuiltE 12-08-2012 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by maviskw (Post 5706181)
I can't believe I read the whole thing! Took about four hours and I learned a lot.
I'll add just a few more.

.......... and I can't believe this thread has continued to groooooooow all this time! :D

Thanks MavisKW and others ........ for adding more of the non-typical quilting supplies!
... They often come for a LOT less $$$ than the "official" quilting items, and work every bit as good (or even better!) :)

LAQUITA 12-08-2012 06:54 PM

I have read these pages, leave for a few days and come back and read some more. THANK YOU to everyone that has made a post.

What I do with all these great ideas: I have cut & pasted all the ideas I like, into a Word documemt, then I will print them off and keep them close to my sewing area as a 'reminder' of when I need some ideas for various things. This is much easier than having to try and remember everything. LOL

HTH

QuiltE 12-08-2012 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by LAQUITA (Post 5707112)
I have read these pages, leave for a few days and come back and read some more. THANK YOU to everyone that has made a post.

What I do with all these great ideas: I have cut & pasted all the ideas I like, into a Word documemt, then I will print them off and keep them close to my sewing area as a 'reminder' of when I need some ideas for various things. This is much easier than having to try and remember everything. LOL

HTH

Good Plan!

AnnieH 12-09-2012 01:43 AM

Originally Posted by catmcclure (Post 4210876)
I converted a wooden papertowel holder for large spools of thread. I drilled small holes in the base and put in two more dowels and put some eyelet lag screws in the top for thread guides. It can hold 3 large thread cones.

Now THAT is clever!

Annie

AnnieH 12-09-2012 02:10 AM

Originally Posted by Sierra (Post 4214269)
On what????!!!!! Your pattern book? Your husband? To anyone with dumb question??? I'm outa here!!!! :-P

Laughed so much!
Annie

craftiladi 12-09-2012 02:42 AM

Originally Posted by LAQUITA (Post 5707112)

HTH

Thats a great idea, my problem is I would forget about the document in a time of need...I love to read everyone's ideas so many good ones.
dee

Quilt-Till-U-Wilt 12-09-2012 04:14 AM

An ash tray to hold the tip of my mini iron
An eyeglass case to hold my cutter
A glass dish to hold my pins. It's made likre a sugar bowl with handles on both sifde but wider and shallower so I can get my hand in there just right and it looks cute sitting out.
An old little wooden box to hold my supplies on my cutting table

QuiltE 12-09-2012 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by Quilt-Till-U-Wilt (Post 5707568)
An eyeglass case to hold my cutter

Oh, I like that idea!

* yogurt, tupperware lids etc. to cut plastic templates
* one of those brass paper holders for next to the fireplace ... works well to hold plastic rulers; and almost always in-stock at the thrift stores! :)
* upright paper towel holder, to hold stack rolls of painter's tape
* cream and sugar -- one for the hair clips for binding, the other for small stuff (trimming scissors, stitch rippers, binding thread etc.); and when I find a set complete with a serving tray, then one will become as pin cushion, as the tray will hold the small stuff!