Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Stupid question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/stupid-question-t233851.html)

patchsamkim 11-02-2013 06:59 PM

Quilt guilds vary...each one will be different. Everyone has the common interest of quilting. Ours has many speakers throughout the year, usually a few are national speakers. The meetings are educational and usually lots of inspiring show and tell. We try to do lots of service projects to, and we put on a quilt show every other year, usually with over 200 quilts on display. We have a library of hundreds of books that can be borrowed. A great place to meet with and make new friends, Classes are offered by different members, and by the national teachers. Our guild has about 150 members at this time. Hope you will look into joining one in your area!

yobrosew 11-03-2013 09:55 AM

The only stupid question is the unasked one.

Tfch8184 11-03-2013 11:01 AM

I just looked up guilds in my state.

Sadly the closest one to me is over half an hour away and meets during my daughters bedtime.

But I have an entire online community and I've met some some quilters who work at my local Joann's that I jibber jabber with all the time.

ManiacQuilter2 11-03-2013 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by GrammaNan (Post 6383111)
I love stupid questions! They are never stupid. A Quilt Guild is a quilting club. Usually a group of quilters get together and quilt and talk about quilting and dream about quilting together. Some groups are small, just a few quilters others are quite large with 200 plus. They hold contests, classes, swaps, charity quilts etc. You should check with your LQS and find guilds in your area. Good Luck and have fun.

I agree with everything that GrammaNan said. Unfortunately, the last guild I belong to was more of a VERY senior group and most of them wouldn't even try to improve on their stitching. You would NEVER believe the tension on some of their machines!! You could pull the entire stitching out without any effort, literally loops on what was the bottom of the stitching!! I just got tired of re-stitching blocks I received in block swap.

omacookie 11-03-2013 11:55 AM

To each his own but I love belonging to a guild. I like the fellowship and the learning from one another.Hugs

quilttiger 11-04-2013 04:34 AM

Do check out quilt guilds. At first, you may feel out of place. Hang in there and get to know some of the ladies and give them a chance to know you. It is well worth it.

EvieD44 11-04-2013 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish (Post 6383235)
I learned today that Japan does not have guilds. Isn't that amazing, especially with all of the gorgeous quilts coming out of Japan? We've been talking to some of the Japanese quilters here at the quilt show in Houston, and they all say the same thing - no guilds. I asked a quilter if there was something they do to spend time with other quilters, and she said they take classes.

they do have guilds in Japan. Our guild The Shining Tides has a sister guild with the towns (Fairhaven Ma.) sister
city....Tosashimizu Kochi Japan called the Sho Fly Quilters....They have come here and some of out guild members have gone to Japan too. They also participate in our quilt show.

cpcarolyn 11-04-2013 07:14 AM

Guilds are great. I belong to two of them. They are full of wonderful quilters who are always willing to share. They have great speakers, workshops, retreats. I would reamend joining.

fireworkslover 11-04-2013 08:50 AM

I belong to a guild. We have a speaker each month from either a local quilt shop or a designer or someone else with information to share about a quilting project they work with. Sometimes we just have different work stations set up and play with paints, inks, stencils, colored pencils, etc. We've also had members demonstrate a specific technique, for example paper piecing. We have a library of many books you can check out to learn new things. We have a quilt show every other year, showing 500 quilts usually made just from our members. We make quilted items for charity, everything from table toppers, art quilts for wall decoration, to bed size quilts. We also have a continuing project where we make fabric bags for the Coborn Cancer Center. New patients get lots of paper info. in their bag. Other Small Groups have come out of the guild: a Featherweight Group, a Color Group, a Contemporary Group, etc. Many of our members have longarm businesses or rent out their machines for others to use. We have a fun time each month. A favorite time is Show & Tell.

IBQUILTIN 11-04-2013 03:08 PM

The only stupid questions are the ones you don't ask and get answers for. Looks like you have gotten a lot of guild information. Just check to see where the one in your area meets and attend a meeting to see how you like it