Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   A suggestion for Marking Cross Hatching (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/suggestion-marking-cross-hatching-t156195.html)

Holice 09-27-2011 07:09 AM

I can never get the lines on cross hatching - either square or diamond- to end up correct and even when I use the guide on the walking foot or pressure foot. So I discovered to mark or dot all around the area at 1" intervals or whatever measurement you want and then with long ruler to connect the dots. This gives me more even lines and the hatching ends up as squares or diamonds. I rip too much out when I don't do this. A 1" interval will produce about a 3/4" square. 2" will give little over 1.5" square etc.

Sneed 09-27-2011 07:15 AM

Thanks for the tip, and I'll try this the next time I do it. On the last one I did where the hatching went around the whole thing I had to cheat every now and then to get everything to join up. What an ordeal, and for some reason I'm doing another that is going to give me the same headache.

the casual quilter 09-27-2011 07:18 AM

I'm going to try this, too. Thanks for the tip!!!

ManiacQuilter2 09-27-2011 07:28 AM

GREAT TIP !!! I always used a HERA marker by Clover which puts an indentation that is easy to see when you start machine quilting, The most important thing with any marking is you want to keep referring to your orginal center line to make sure you stay consistent with that line. It is so easy to slowly merge off that line and then discover that your lines are no longer accurate and trust me, it WILL SHOW !!! :lol:

Momyar 09-27-2011 07:40 AM

When I've done cross hatching I used painters tape and tape from one corner to the other, sew and then move it over.

Thanks for the hint.

wuv2quilt 09-27-2011 07:42 AM

Thanks for the tip:):):):)

Kitsie 09-27-2011 07:53 AM

I draw one line in the middle somewhere, then take a 6 x 24" ruler and draw lines 6" on either side. Then I draw the lines at 5, 4, 3... well, like that. Helps keep the 6"ers stay parallel to the first line. If it's a big quilt, I keep adding 6"ers then in-betweens or make marks and lines at 12" and so on.

laceybritt 09-27-2011 08:04 AM

I used the guide on my walking foot and it looked terrible. I also use masking tape.

romanojg 09-27-2011 09:50 AM

I just used a ruler and drew lines. I went diagonaly since the eye doesn't travel that way and you see less mistakes if the lines are a little crooked. Our eyes normally look up and down and left to right so this is where your mistakes show up. I then start sewing in the middle working my way out and around. I also use a walking foot; makes a big difference and spray baste

susie-susie-susie 09-27-2011 10:21 AM

I use the tape method, and it turned out pretty straight. I just kept moving the tape over. Worked for me. Saved putting any marks on the quilt--it had a white background.
Sue