Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Suggestions for a cancer quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/suggestions-cancer-quilt-t197798.html)

PlanoDebbie 08-16-2012 07:10 PM

What about a variation of an "I Spy" kind of quilt showing pictures of things that she likes to do (hobbies, etc) or places that she has visited or would like to visit. If I was going for regular chemo treatments, I would be more comforted by something that would truly put me in my happy place. A quilt containing pictures from "happy" moments in my life would give me comfort and joy during such a difficult time. If she enjoys gardening or cooking, you could use fabric the represents those hobbies. Maybe her family could help by providing some "fun" pictures to use in a quilt.

Rose_P 08-16-2012 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by mimiof4 (Post 5445468)
Suze9395, I like this one it represents the pink ribbon without saying it like the breast cancer pink ribbon. Good Choice.

Ditto! Very nice quilt. I agree that reminding her of the disease with a quilt that has too much of a specific breast cancer theme is not a very pleasant idea. Why not just find out what her tastes are and try for something that would fit in for years to come? She can look at it and think of the comfort brought by you, and of the triumph we all hope she will have over this terrible disease.

HMK 08-16-2012 07:22 PM

Thank you all so much - I knew you'd be of guidance. I have a Watermelon Bali Pops and will look for a quick quilt to use those and it will be bright and cheery. She would like a modern one, I think.

bearisgray 08-16-2012 08:48 PM

There was a thread about this same topic a few days back - interesting responses - and now I can't find the thread!

teddysmom 08-17-2012 02:42 AM

I agree with some of the replies re: using a lot of pink.

grammysharon 08-17-2012 02:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is one I made for my niece that had both breasts removed last November.

alfosa421 08-17-2012 02:26 PM

I think any pattern would do How about a D9P or Magic square or anything but one that screams hey I've got cancer! Missouri Quilt Company has some great ideas for quick quilts with charms and layer cakes on youtube.

jaspersu 08-17-2012 03:30 PM

I suggest keeping your daughter's friend's personality in mind when choosing the patten and material.

Originally Posted by Suze9395 (Post 5445462)
Let's see if this works!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]355987[/ATTACH]

Well color me embarrassed, I could have sworn the circles were green and pink, not just the ribbons...hmmmm. Sometimers has struck again!!

Suze, this one is so beautiful.

burchquilts 08-17-2012 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by HMK (Post 5445711)
Thank you all so much - I knew you'd be of guidance. I have a Watermelon Bali Pops and will look for a quick quilt to use those and it will be bright and cheery. She would like a modern one, I think.

Why not use that yummy Bali Pops & make a Jelly Roll Race quilt? It's modern-looking. I think that would be perfect! Please post again & let us know what you decide on.

burchquilts 08-17-2012 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by Suze9395 (Post 5445462)
Let's see if this works!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]355987[/ATTACH]

Well color me embarrassed, I could have sworn the circles were green and pink, not just the ribbons...hmmmm. Sometimers has struck again!!

Wow! What a gorgeous quilt! What pattern is this made from? I love, love, love it!!!