Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Suggestions for a New Sewing Machine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/suggestions-new-sewing-machine-t38277.html)

NHSOMND 03-01-2010 06:04 AM

I'm starting the process of upgrading to a new sewing machine and could use help and suggestions. I have a budget (so a mid range machine) and a few features I would like, but really don't know where to start.

I'm not a professional by any means (intermediate), but love to quilt and could use a reliable, well built, easy to use machine. Couple of features I would like:

* A good open yolk space (so I don't strain to see around the front and back of my projects)
* Variety of stitch patterns
* Variable speed
* Variety of feet for machine quilting
* Stitch regulator
* Needle up/down

What else would be good to have on a machine? Thanks in advance!

QBeth 03-01-2010 06:22 AM

You might want to add:
- the ability to drop the feed dogs for FMQ
- "low bobbin thread" warning
- "straight stitch setting" warning that warns allows you to warn yourself that you have a single-hole throat plate in place; i.e., if you try to do zigzag, the machine will warn you.

I bought a Husqvarna Sapphire two years ago. It has what you're looking for plus the things I suggested. The only think I don't like about it is there's no lever to raise/lower the foot; there's up & down buttons. Drove me crazy trying to line things up until I figured out that I could use the needle and handturn to position the fabric.

Good luck with your search! Enjoy.

Dora Taggart 03-01-2010 06:38 AM

I always recommend Janome

BellaBoo 03-01-2010 06:41 AM

Any mid or top of the line machine you can afford. By pass the lower end new machines or buy used.

Rachel 03-01-2010 06:45 AM

I'm a Bernina girl... Its really a personal decision, that depends on what you're looking for and the amount of money you want to spend. Let us know what you get!!!

Carol Carter 03-01-2010 06:54 AM

I have Viking, Janome, Brother, and Pfaff. My favorite machine is the Pfaff for sewing together quilts. Can't beat it. For Heirloom sewing, I prefer the Viking and for buttonholes I like Brother or Janome. Every machine is best for a particular sewing. Janome and Brother are wonderful and are probably the lower cost.

sewcrafty 03-01-2010 12:44 PM

I just put this on another thread. I just found out today that Janome is actually coming out with a new machine in May!! I'm not sure what you consider mid-range, but if you go to the Janome site you'll see the 6600. This new one is suppose to out do that one. Right now you can probably pick-up a 6600 for around $1000 - 1100. I didn't get any indicators of what the price of the new one would be. So I'm waiting till May to try out this machine before I buy one.

Oklahoma Suzie 03-01-2010 04:25 PM

I think it would depend on what you want it for.

nursie76 03-01-2010 08:00 PM

I have a Bernina that I got used from a dealer and at a wonderful price. I haven't regretted my decision for a second. It has an awesome stitch regulator that gave me the confidence to try FMQ. Good luck with whatever you choose.