Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   suggestions, please (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/suggestions-please-t189143.html)

carol45 05-16-2012 05:05 AM

suggestions, please

1 Attachment(s)
So I made this silhouette of my DGS. I used fusible web to cut and attach it to the white background fabric. I'm very pleased with the way it looks, but I'm not sure of where to go from here. My DH thinks I should just put it in a frame under glass, and be done with it, but I was originally thinking of making a quilted wall hanging out of it. Now I'm a bit reluctant to quilt it because it looks so nice, I don't want to mess it up and I'm not at all sure that quilting would improve it at all. Anybody have any ideas more creative than just putting it in a frame?
Thanks,
Carol

sharon b 05-16-2012 05:10 AM

I like it just the way it is :) Maybe add his name and the date that the silhouette is from ?

If you make it a wall hanging make sure you sew the fabric down so if you have to wash it it stays together.

Delta 05-16-2012 05:10 AM

I made something like this but in color and found the middle point of the pic and pasted to each point then the middle
and again and again, but never basting the silhouette just starting the line at the head. then keep basting until you get what looks like sun ray behind his head. that will leave his head untouched but will look like his head is on the rays. any questions p/m me. good luck. Oh after basting then you can sew the ray on your machine.
Dawn in Waco Tx

Buckeye Rose 05-16-2012 05:30 AM

why not add some thread art....stitch in some hair, ears, eyes mouth.....make it a true pic of DGS.....get creative!

Tartan 05-16-2012 07:55 PM

I think it would look very nice framed. I would find a frame that you can stretch it taut in so it has no winkles and put a nice black acid free matt around it before putting it in the frame. You could use a light pen to put the name and date on the matt in calligraphy.

jaciqltznok 05-16-2012 08:26 PM

you can not just FRAME cotton fabric. It will rot in no time!
Why not satin stitch with black thread to hold it down and then use thread to match the background and sort of cross hatch around the head? A quilted hanging or pillow would be nice!

QuiltnLady1 05-16-2012 09:26 PM

I would also zigzag the applique down. I would probably do a couple of rounds of echo stitching around the applique then do the crosshatching or some stippling. The silhouette is really nice!

TanyaL 05-16-2012 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok (Post 5222550)
you can not just FRAME cotton fabric. It will rot in no time!
Why not satin stitch with black thread to hold it down and then use thread to match the background and sort of cross hatch around the head? A quilted hanging or pillow would be nice!

I have two COTTON crocheted pieces that have been lightly tacked onto a COTTON velvet backing and then framed professionally. They were framed in 1960 and show absolutely no sign of damage. They have never been hung in a place where the sun could shine on them. Otherwise, occasionally I dust them with the vacuum and that is all that they get. They have no glass over them. The crochet was made by my grandmother in the 1920's . I think the secret is that the professional framer knew what he was doing.

Jim 05-16-2012 09:49 PM

You can frame it but make sure that the person framing it mounts it on a glue board to keep it taut. Matting will give enough space for air so that it doesnt rot or decompose as quickly as Jaciqltznok mentioned. Fabric artwork is framed quite often and keeps well preserved for years. It would look timeless framed with a nice double black/white mat..possibly a gold or silver third mat for contrast

Geri B 05-17-2012 06:58 AM

reminds me of the paper silhouttes done so many years ago...Edwardian or Victorian?????? some good ideas have been posted on what to do with it.....