Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Suggestions for young teen boy quilt? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/suggestions-young-teen-boy-quilt-t147221.html)

nanna-up-north 08-23-2011 04:39 AM

Good suggestions.... Thanks

everbtrue 08-23-2011 04:43 AM

How about a 10 minute block quilt in RWB? Or most anything in stars.

SparkMonkey 08-23-2011 04:43 AM

I agree with using their teams' colors. Teenage boys have SO many different interests, and they're likely to change from one day to the next. They tend to stay loyal to their teams, though. ;)

I'd stay away from thematic prints, too (with the exception of the team logos or whatever). Baseballs, basketball hoops, football helmets, etc. might be considered too juvenile when it comes time to pack up for college.

Annie68 08-23-2011 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by Annaquilts
It would help if you knew their interests. I made one for a son that wanted a quilt with snakes, another likes Army and patriotic and yet another is a basketball guy. They all like stars. So maybe a simple star with fabric displaying some of their interests. The snake quilt was for my then turn ten year old. He is now almost twelve and uses it every day. I like the make the quilts so they can grow into them both size wise and thematic wise.

I love that quilt!
:thumbup:

Deb watkins 08-23-2011 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by SparkMonkey
I agree with using their teams' colors. Teenage boys have SO many different interests, and they're likely to change from one day to the next. They tend to stay loyal to their teams, though. ;)

I'd stay away from thematic prints, too (with the exception of the team logos or whatever). Baseballs, basketball hoops, football helmets, etc. might be considered too juvenile when it comes time to pack up for college.

I agree with this....
I would suggest blues and greens in a rail fence design or large squares on point. Denim is a great suggestion and easily obtained at the thrift shops in used jeans. May get lucky and find some yardage!

mom-6 08-23-2011 05:39 AM

Camo is often a good one if they like either hunting or military stuff. I made a mock camo scrappy quilt (camo colors but not actual camo print) when he was 8 or 9. He just turned 14 and guess what he picked for his new backpack for school - yep, it's camo.

virtualbernie 08-23-2011 05:40 AM

I intended to make all my grandkids a quilt. I made a warm wishes quilt for one grandson with a basketball theme but he didn't like it. I found a pattern with applique'd guitars and he loved it so that's on my to do list to make for him. I'll probably donate the basketball quilt to Project Linus... :-)

vjengels 08-23-2011 05:40 AM

I would do a tube quilt in tan,burgundy & blue, or plaids. those combinations always look masculine to me.

irishrose 08-23-2011 11:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Scrappy with emphasis on school colors.

Very easy without the stars, and still easy with them, just takes longer.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]245832[/ATTACH]

Pinkiris 08-23-2011 01:10 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I'm attaching pictures that I've saved for "masculine" quilts. I have not made these quilts. I probably got most of these pictures on this board! I'm just saving them for when the need arises.

I'm about to start a quilt for a 14 yo grandson, using snack food fabric as the focus. Eating is a favorite pastime for him right now! I will probably use one of these patterns.

Sue