Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Sun Bonnet Sue each month of the year...wallhangings. No stash so.... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sun-bonnet-sue-each-month-year-wallhangings-no-stash-so-t176810.html)

Gramie bj 01-24-2012 07:28 PM

Buy off the bolt! It is cheeper. and the girls will not be upset with you, that is why they are there! They will probly ask what your making and ask you to bring it in to show them when it's done. I have to travel 2 1/2 hr to reach my "LOCAL" Joanns, they know that when I walk through the door I will leave with a cart full. I am never in a hurry when I'm in a fabric shop so if I have a cart full of bolts and someone behind me only has one or two bolts I send them ahead, I'm not in a rush and usually don't have small children with me.

auntpiggylpn 01-24-2012 07:47 PM

I was going to say Fat Quarters were invented just for this purpose!!! Prior to FQs, I used to buy 1/4 yd pieces. I would have 10-15 bolts in my cart and yes, I would get the death stare from the cutting staff AND the other people waiting in line but if you are stash building, these cuts are just perfect. Especially if you are doing small projects or scrappy anything.

sewlisa 01-24-2012 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by annthreecats (Post 4906493)
I know its a lot of trouble to get a lot of fabric cut, but it will be worth it. You get more for your money from the bolt than from a fat quarter. I have seen people in JoAnn's with carts full of cotton fabric bolts. Just have fun with it.

P.S. Your patriotic wall hanging sounds wonderful. Would love to see a picture of it.

Don't know about the other employees, but I used to love cutting fabric. My favorite assignment was the cutting table. I would look forward to cutting big orders, especially quilting fabrics. I also enjoyed chatting with the customers and asking what they were making, and dreaming about what I would make with the different fabrics as I put the bolts away. Call me crazy, but I miss that job. :o

auntpiggylpn 01-24-2012 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by sewlisa (Post 4907931)
Don't know about the other employees, but I used to love cutting fabric. My favorite assignment was the cutting table. I would look forward to cutting big orders, especially quilting fabrics. I also enjoyed chatting with the customers and asking what they were making, and dreaming about what I would make with the different fabrics as I put the bolts away. Call me crazy, but I miss that job. :o

That is my dream job!!!!!!!

Grandma Peg 01-24-2012 08:12 PM

Have fun with Sue, it will be so worth it. If you have a sewing buddy, she will help you with fabric because alot of times you don't need much. Wish we lived closer I would give you some scraps of mine. Your patriotic quilt sounds wonderful, you put a lot of thought into it. You'll have to post a picture.

mtteach101 01-24-2012 08:35 PM

I was never upset to cut small amounts off the bolts....well, it would be a pain if they had a cart of 20 or so and wanted 1/4 yard each and it was 4 minutes until we closed.... I loved talking to the customers about projects. Have a wonderful time! :)

huntannette 01-24-2012 08:54 PM

that`s what i do when i buy fabric...have them cut 1/4 yrd....the lady at the fabric store told me that`s what thy were there for, and she said time goes faster....she seemed to enjoy it...but not sure thy are all like that....i always go to her...lol

deemail 01-24-2012 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by Gramie bj (Post 4907832)
Buy off the bolt! It is cheeper. and the girls will not be upset with you, that is why they are there! They will probly ask what your making and ask you to bring it in to show them when it's done. I have to travel 2 1/2 hr to reach my "LOCAL" Joanns, they know that when I walk through the door I will leave with a cart full. I am never in a hurry when I'm in a fabric shop so if I have a cart full of bolts and someone behind me only has one or two bolts I send them ahead, I'm not in a rush and usually don't have small children with me.

this is too true and I was on my way to tell you the same thing... quilt shops are very used to doing this... they will not mind... but if you want other ways...
http://www.countrychurchcrafts.com/c...erfabrics2.htm 75 cents each + cheap shipping
http://www.sewmamasew.com/ccp0-catsh...TQUARTERS.html 6 pack collections=15.75= $7.75/yd
http://www.connectingthreads.com/kit...rs__D4655.html this one looked good, $55 for 35 FQ... but they pick them

anyway...just look at these, and google for 'Fat Quarter'......tons of sale stuff came up... but if I was you, I would look for the current Joann's coupon... and plan on going on Feb 5.... superbowl sunday is always a big sale there ... usually open early.... between sale and coupon, you ought to be able to get some cute stuff... and remember, you don't have to buy it all at once... and if it was me (again...i would get a 1/4 yd of fabric... and not put different backgrounds... but youu will have to decide...this way you just get more fabric left over for your stash.

Aubrey'sQuiltingCreations 01-25-2012 03:07 AM

I just had an e-mail from Joanns for a 20% your entire purchase which incudes sale and regular priced items for this Sat (1/28) only. Another thing I might try is www.quiltshops.com as is a huge search engine and many of the sites on here have lots of end of the year sales going on and I see add on here for a big Super Bowl Sale. I also live in a rural community and its 120 to the nearest bigger city with a fabric store so our local second hand store you can find many good deals with fabric and some clothing items offer good fabric to use for quilting items such as a wall hanging.

emsgranny 01-25-2012 04:10 AM

I too would buy off the bolt!! It would be a shame not to!!! Most of the sales people I have run into dont mind cutting - I say if you go to JoAnns with 20% off entire purchase you may even go for 1/2 yard cuts - that way you have a stash lol Also be sure to look here - alot of times people will sell their "scraps" or you could post under the "In search of" section. You can usually get things rather reasonably here and save standing in lines lol Would love to see your dad's quilt and the sunbonet once its completed!!