Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Susan Garman Pattern Trick or Treat Question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/susan-garman-pattern-trick-treat-question-t87443.html)

Candace 01-03-2011 05:23 PM

I just got the Trick or Treat pattern by Susan Garmen. Sooooo cute. Has anyone completed it? Pictures please?? I'm curious if anyone tackled this one for hand applique.

Wunder-Mar 01-03-2011 06:43 PM

Several of the ladies in my guild's Hand Applique Bee have tackled the Halloween and Christmas quilts of hers - but they are mighty skilled and the results were astounding. I saw this done solely in fusible applique for a shop sample, but the owner said she fused the web backing onto the fabric before cutting the pieces out and then used Fray Check dispensed from a plastic accordion bottle with a needle-nose applicator along all the edges; she said since it's be a wall hanging and nothing else, it's held up just fine since the patterns were first sold, although she does store them flat with acid-free paper on top and between the seasonal quilts.

sewwhat85 01-03-2011 06:46 PM

havent seen it

Candace 01-03-2011 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by Wunder-Mar
Several of the ladies in my guild's Hand Applique Bee have tackled the Halloween and Christmas quilts of hers - but they are mighty skilled and the results were astounding. I saw this done solely in fusible applique for a shop sample, but the owner said she fused the web backing onto the fabric before cutting the pieces out and then used Fray Check dispensed from a plastic accordion bottle with a needle-nose applicator along all the edges; she said since it's be a wall hanging and nothing else, it's held up just fine since the patterns were first sold, although she does store them flat with acid-free paper on top and between the seasonal quilts.

I've machine appliqued a ton, but in this case I'd only feel comfortable doing it with a satin stitch. That way no fray check or other issues as the raw edges would be taken care of. I'm very hesitant to do it via machine applique though, as I want to be able to use it and wash it and all that fusible would make it so hard. I know you can "window" the fusible so it's not so flat and hard, but I'm still thinking about doing this one by hand. I want to be able to wash it eventually and actually use it to sit under.

plainjane 01-03-2011 07:43 PM

Just hiding out here so I can see pics of the applique!

Candace 01-03-2011 08:34 PM

This is an old pattern. I would hope someone may have finished it by now! :>

Prism99 01-03-2011 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by Candace
I've machine appliqued a ton, but in this case I'd only feel comfortable doing it with a satin stitch. That way no fray check or other issues as the raw edges would be taken care of. I'm very hesitant to do it via machine applique though, as I want to be able to use it and wash it and all that fusible would make it so hard. I know you can "window" the fusible so it's not so flat and hard, but I'm still thinking about doing this one by hand. I want to be able to wash it eventually and actually use it to sit under.

You might want to research MistyFuse. It is supposed to be extremely lightweight. That's probably what I would use.

Candace 01-04-2011 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99

Originally Posted by Candace

You might want to research MistyFuse. It is supposed to be extremely lightweight. That's probably what I would use.

Thanks, I will do that. I've typically used Heat and Bond and Steam-A-Seam2. I've never tried this product.

thimblebug6000 01-04-2011 07:56 AM

Didn't find the pattern, but Wow.... here's her blog.
http://suegarman.blogspot.com/search...&max-results=1

Candace 01-04-2011 08:35 AM

Wow, I read her blog. She does all needle turn by hand.