Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   T Shirt Quilt...What Would You Charge? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/t-shirt-quilt-what-would-you-charge-t108316.html)

Beachbound 03-17-2011 05:25 AM

I have been asked to take some T Shirts of my DH'd friend and make a quilt from them. First would you tie the quilt or machine quilt it (stitch in the ditch?) and what would you charge to make it? I don't know yet what size/how many shirts she wants so any ideas would be helpful. Thanks!

feline fanatic 03-17-2011 05:29 AM

I have been commissioned to make T-shirt quilts, queen size, tied every 3". The client had to provide the T-shirts I provided all other material and charge $450. This was several years ago. Today I would charge $500. If you look on line for places that do it that is the common going rate. They are quite a bit of extra work because you have to put some sort of interfacing on each T-shirt so the blocks won't stretch out of shape in the piecing process. They sew together quickly but the prep time is what gets ya.

hperttula123 03-17-2011 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by Beachbound
I have been asked to take some T Shirts of my DH'd friend and make a quilt from them. First would you tie the quilt or machine quilt it (stitch in the ditch?) and what would you charge to make it? I don't know yet what size/how many shirts she wants so any ideas would be helpful. Thanks!

If I were you I would go to etsy.com and just do a search to find what you were going to make. Just try to find a quilt similar to what you are making and go around that price.

darlin121 03-17-2011 05:33 AM

Nice timeing with the question.Someone has asked me to make a t-shirt quilt also. I'm like you, in a quandry over what to charge. I will be following this thread for suggestings.
Thank you.

Grama Lehr 03-17-2011 06:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)
If you WANT to make it........you charge X amount of dollars.
If you really don't want to make it 4 times as much!! :?

Holice 03-17-2011 07:11 AM

I saw a demo at last year's Quilt Market in which gridded interface was used in its construction. The pattern, which contains the grid "i believe" is from
www.crookednickel.com. Go to their web site and click under Memories to a T. There is a video that explains the technique. It looks easy.

newquilter10 03-17-2011 11:09 AM

WOW!! I did one for free, she brought me the t-shirts and bought the material. I may reconsider and do some for pay!!

Quiltgirl26 03-17-2011 11:12 AM

I've seen them going for $350 - $500. Like you said just depends on the size.

feline fanatic 03-17-2011 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by newquilter10
WOW!! I did one for free, she brought me the t-shirts and bought the material. I may reconsider and do some for pay!!

The only time I did one for free was when it was for a dear friend. Free for family too. Every one else pays!

rudderjt 03-17-2011 11:39 AM

I made one for myself, out of old shirts and t-shirts last winter. For a guy, the t-shirt material was a pain in the ...... behind to work with--had to be stabilized, sizes aren't uniform, different weights, yuk! I'll not be doing another, paid or otherwise. But, that's just my opinion.