Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   T-shirt quilts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/t-shirt-quilts-t198451.html)

Normabeth 08-23-2012 09:32 AM

T-shirt quilts

Hi
what Pellon fusible weight do you use for making t-shirt quilts?
Thanks
NormaBeth:)

Deborahlees 08-23-2012 10:49 AM

I use a medium light.....don't want it light cardboard.....just enough to keep them from stretching, every which way.....Iron on carefully as some t-shirt prints may transfer....I put my teflon pressing sheet down first, then t-shirt, then interfacing.....cut large.....cutdown to size latter....

Normabeth 08-23-2012 10:52 AM

Thanks
I dont have a teflon pressing sheet - will freezer paper do?

Deborahlees 08-23-2012 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Normabeth (Post 5462252)
Thanks
I dont have a teflon pressing sheet - will freezer paper do?

yes, just make sure to use it, I didn't one time and ended up with the t-shirt printing all over my ironing board.....
(Old t-shirts were some times just an iron on what ever......)

Crqltr 08-23-2012 11:07 AM

I always use the lite weight 99cent stuff from Jo Ann's . That's what the cutting lady suggested, said the more expensive was over kill and a waste. Alls you need is something to keep it from stretching.

Sophie2 08-23-2012 11:33 AM

I use Pelon FF910 and it has worked wonderful for me. I put my t-shirt face down on a piece of muslin on my ironing surface, then the Pelon and cover that with another press cloth. If by chance I place the Pelon facing the wrong way on the t-shirt, it does not stick to the iron surface. (ask me how I figured that out! LOL) I put the t-shirt face down on the muslin so that any printing from the t-shirt does not end up on my ironing board. Good Luck and have fun making the quilt!

PlanoDebbie 08-23-2012 06:58 PM

I've made 4 t-shirt quilts and have used the featherweight fusible interfacing for all of them. Gives the shirts plenty of stability without making it stiff.

blahel 08-23-2012 07:06 PM

i too am researching making a t-shirt quilt. i went on the missouri quilting website and they had a tutorial in there which recommended pellon featherweight and it said it was available from their shop. Dont know what it is like though but maybe someone on this board has used it and can recommend it or not.

Flying_V_Goddess 08-23-2012 07:43 PM

I use Pellon lightweight. You want something to keep the fabric from stretching, but I think you also don't want something that's going to add on more bulk than necessary since t-shirt cotton is thicker than quilting cotton. A t-shirt quilt is already going to be a little heavier than your average quilt without thicker Pellon---plus, thicker will make it stiffer, I think---and a lightweight is going to be easier to sew through whether you're quilting or hand tying the quilt.

GrandmaPeggy 08-24-2012 04:58 AM

I just finished a t-shirt quilt and used pellon sheerweight fusible 906F. I found it at Joann's and Hobby Lobby for $2.49. It kept the shirts soft.