Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Taking first tentative steps to longarming (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/taking-first-tentative-steps-longarming-t23250.html)

feline fanatic 07-25-2009 03:01 PM

I just signed up for a longarm class today. The class is the end of August on an HQ16 machine. Got to see the setup today and I must say it was a thing of beauty. The quilt shop is an hour and a half away from me but it is very pretty drive to get to it so I don't mind. Lovely shop as well, very large selection of beautiful fabrics, unfortunately average quilt shop steep price of around $9 per yard on average.
Once you take the class there they allow you rental time on the machine. I want to be sure I can do it and like long arming before I take the substantial plunge for one of these setups. But you longarm quilters out there have really inspired me. Handquilting just takes too long and freemotion on my Bernina seems a daunting task on anything bigger then a large wallhanging or crib quilt.
The only thing I don't like about renting is you really don't have an opportunity to practice other then any practice runs you take before quilting in the rental time.

sewsewquilter 07-25-2009 05:08 PM

Have fun!

jacquemoe 07-25-2009 06:31 PM

How exciting that you're taking a LA class so you can rent one. You just might wind up owning one :lol: I got a little bit discouraged when I got to try one out for a VERY short period of time on a VERY small piece of fabric. My movement was like that of a 3 yr old. However, I was sure with some practice that I could do better. It has taken some time but I can sure see a difference from when I started a year and a half ago and now. I'll bet a quarter that you get hooked and just have to have one.

mar32428 07-27-2009 01:55 PM

I bought a Grace over a year ago and am still "practicing". I'm finally getting around to putting one of my six tops on for quilting. I'm not a procrastinator, just a perfectionist. I know any mistakes will be forgiving but you still want the best. WE HAVE A rental machine here locally but I want to quilt in my own time. I'd love a Gammill but don't have the bucks.

Iluv2quilt 07-27-2009 02:41 PM

Good luck on your long arm! I too took a few classes and rent the long arm machine. I did get fairly good on following pantographs but am not good at freehand and need a lot of practice. Where I am it costs $15 per hour and $2 for each bobbin.

feline fanatic 07-30-2009 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by suzic46
Good luck on your long arm! I too took a few classes and rent the long arm machine. I did get fairly good on following pantographs but am not good at freehand and need a lot of practice. Where I am it costs $15 per hour and $2 for each bobbin.

Thanks so much for letting me know what you pay suzic. I had no idea what the cost would be, this gives me a ballpark point of reference.

FF

Marcia 07-30-2009 06:51 PM

I did the same thing---took a long arm quilting class on a HQ16 at a quilt shop near me. I was so overwhelmed by the whole thing that I have never gone back again to rent the machine. The instructor was great but we did not have enough hands-on time in the class. I hope that your experience is better than mine.

So......I just continue to send my quilts out to be quilted by someone else.