Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Teach Me Please-paperpiecing from photo image (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/teach-me-please-paperpiecing-photo-image-t145135.html)

All Thumbs 08-14-2011 12:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have read and reread about taking a photo, enlarging it and then somehow piecing fabric to the outline of say a church/bldg creating a block for a quilt. Over the years I have taken pictures of buildings and scenes that mean something to us. Now that I am retired, I want to make those memories into blocks for a quilt. I do not want to just transfer the photo to cloth--I want to actually piece together the structure. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Here is just one example. The tree is no problem as I have appliqued several like it but the dimensions needed for the barn would be a problem for me getting the correct perspective. Granted this is a basic rectangle but the majority of photos I have are with detail and landscaping both front and rear.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]241768[/ATTACH]

MTS 08-14-2011 12:23 PM

I'm no artist, but the first thing I'd do is get a grayscale version of that photo.

Because then you can really see the value of the different colored pieces, and that would help with providing the right perspective.

Where the light is, distance from your viewpoint, shadows, etc.

But, like I said, I'm no artist.

It sounds like a fabulous project.

All Thumbs 08-14-2011 12:23 PM

Now, do I just cut and applique....I really do not want to do that. I want to say take the side of barn and actually sew two piece of brown together and then go back with thread to create the worn look. Thank you everyone

MTS 08-14-2011 12:25 PM

Then make the picture the size you want, outline the different shapes, cut templates, cut the shapes from fabric, applique them.

Wouldn't that work?

I think you're missing my point. You can just take any 2 pieces of brown. If you put the darkest brown on the front on the barn and the lightest on the side, you have a different image. If you see the browns all around, you've got a glob of brown.

All Thumbs 08-14-2011 12:25 PM

Oh MTS, that is an excellent idea for lighting. I can do that on my computer. Now how to I get all these pieces into a block? Is it sort of like strip piecing only little pieces for sides of barn, etc?

MTS 08-14-2011 12:28 PM

Wait, we're cross posting.

You DO want to do applique or you don't?

All Thumbs 08-14-2011 12:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I see what you mean about showing light with grey scaling. The ice on the tree top really shows the sun light coming from the left side of photo.

MTS 08-14-2011 12:30 PM

Do you want to paper piece - a la Cynthia ENgland?
Let me find you a link. one sec

Duh! look at the title of the thread. <smacks head>

All Thumbs 08-14-2011 12:31 PM

MTS - I do not want to applique. Hands and fingers cannot do that because of my aging. Machine stitching and quilting is how I want to accomplish this quilt. Thank you.

MTS 08-14-2011 12:31 PM

Got it give me a sec.