Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Teaching a Workshop at a Guild (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/teaching-workshop-guild-t196422.html)

Rhonda 08-01-2012 08:23 AM

Teaching a Workshop at a Guild

I get invited to teach a workshop at guilds from time to time and so far I have had to turn them down as I can't travel far due to a handicapped DH.

But I have accepted one closer to home. My problem is I don't know what to charge for the fee.
It is a 3 hr one way trip by car and so I thought a tank of gas plus the cost of any materials I take for the group to use. I need to add something for my time. But I don't want to make it so they can't afford it either.

What is a reasonable amt to charge? And any advice would be welcome too on how to hold the workshop.

MamaHen 08-01-2012 08:44 AM

I think you also need to decide how long your workshop is going to be. Are your driving there & back same day or spending the night? I have checked into getting someone for our guild, and it always includeds travel, meals and overnight stay if needed. Cost of the workshop is separate rate. The guild should pay your travel expenses and those that are taking your workshop pay for that, that is unless the guild is paying for the whole thing. I think that $150 is the least you should charge for travel & expenses plus cost of workshop. JMO!

BellaBoo 08-01-2012 08:59 AM

Our guild pays mileage, I think it's .60 a mile. round trip or plane fare and all lodging if any. Provide the noon meal too. The guild workshop instructor min. fee is $300 if the instructor doesn't set a fee and is more local, up to $650 or more if nationally known. Our workshops start at 9 am to 5 pm with an hour break for lunch.

Jan in VA 08-01-2012 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo (Post 5410872)
Our guild pays mileage, I think it's .60 a mile. round trip or plane fare and all lodging if any. Provide the noon meal too. The guild workshop instructor min. fee is $300 if the instructor doesn't set a fee and is more local, up to $650 or more if nationally known. Our workshops start at 9 am to 5 pm with an hour break for lunch.

Agree, this sounds very reasonable.

Jan in VA

PAMAR 08-01-2012 03:52 PM

I am Treasurer of our Guild. We pay mileage at the current IRS rate (I think it is $.50 but you can google IRS mileage rate and it will come up). We also pay for tolls.

How may students do you expect? Our teachers usually limit us to 20 per class.

Their fees are usually in the $300-$400 range, but we have paid much more for nationally recognized teachers. The students provide their own lunch or go out. We pay for the teacher's lunch.

Hope this helps.

Rhonda 08-01-2012 04:05 PM

Thanks for all the info! I appreciate it. I just sent a message asking how many students and how long she wants the class to last. So that will give me something to go on.

Mariposa 08-01-2012 04:36 PM

Also, if you do need to spend the night, perhaps a guild member can host you at their home for a nice dinner-? Just a thought~~