Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Tension problem out of the blue...help! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/tension-problem-out-blue-help-t180971.html)

brckhous 02-27-2012 10:24 PM

Tension problem out of the blue...help!

So in the middle of piecing a quilt, my top thread became a straight line with bobbin thread loops on top. So either my top tension suddenly became too tight, or my bobbin tension became too loose. I lowered the top tension to the lowest setting, and it made only a slight difference. Just for testing sake, I adjusted it incrementally to the highest setting and it got tighter and puckered up the fabric even more so it appears the tension dial is working.

I re-threaded the machine and changed the needle. It would stitch fine for a few inches and then back to the top thread being way too tight. I removed the bobbin case and cleaned out all the lint. I flossed the upper tension discs. Everything was fine for a few blocks and now the same problem again!

I've had this machine for nearly a year and until now have never had a problem. It did not happen until some time after I started using a new piecing presser foot (the little foot by Lynn Graves). Could the foot be causing the issue? Is it time for servicing the machine? Is something broken? What should I do?

Peckish 02-27-2012 10:41 PM

Double-check your bobbin case, make sure it doesn't have a miniscule piece of thread caught somewhere. Have you tried adjusting your bobbin tension?

sewnsewer2 02-27-2012 10:59 PM

Clean your bobbin case and run a long piece of UNWAXED dental floss thru the tension disks. Just thread it like you would normally do. You probably have a dust buildup in there or a thread caught.

woody 02-28-2012 02:55 AM

as above and try a new needle when you re thread, good luck :)

brckhous 02-28-2012 06:10 AM

I've double checked the bobbin case and it's spotless. I haven't adjusted the bobbin tension yet because I wanted to be sure that it wasn't anything else before I mess with that little screw.

I'll try the dental floss and report back.

js3830 02-28-2012 06:16 AM

Try a different foot. One that came with the machine.

dunster 02-28-2012 06:17 AM

If everything was working fine, you didn't have tension problems, you didn't change anything, and the tension suddenly goes bad - then it probably isn't the tension setting on the machine. More likely the thread path is not right somehow, e.g. the thread jumped out of where it should be and wrapped itself around something else, or there's a foreign object such as lint in the way.

CoyoteQuilts 02-28-2012 06:19 AM

Loops on the top is a bobbin problem, loops on the bottom is the top thread problem. Check the tension on your bobbin by hanging it by the thread after loading it and jerking the bobbin like a yo-yo. If it just drops to the floor without any jerks the tension has gotten loosened some how, tighten the screw.

I know how frustrating tension issues can be. The diagnosis is the worse part, the fix is easy when that is done. Good luck!

homebody323 02-28-2012 06:22 AM

I've had a spool of thread with a rough edge catch the thread and play havoc with all the things you mention. Try another spool of thread just to see if the problem is that spool. Having the thread wind off the spool incorrectly can also create problems or the paper on the spool. A lot depends on the particular machine you are using and the type of thread. Good luck, nothing more frustrating than tension issues.

brckhous 02-28-2012 06:57 AM

I can't imagine it's the thread. I've been using the same large spool of aurifil for my last three projects (and this problem never presented itself). I've re-threaded the machine a dozen times. I just discovered the last needle or two I had put in were size 90/14 quilting needles, instead of size 75/11 (which I ALWAYS use for piecing). I just sewed a few test scraps and so far it's better, but I still see bobbin thread on top (not as severe) with the upper tension on the lowest setting.

I've also tried with my previous 1/4" foot, and it's better than with the little foot. But I LOVE the little foot. The visibility is so much better that my seams are more consistent. Maybe I should just bite the bullet and tighten the bobbin tension.