Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Thangles Orion Star (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/thangles-orion-star-t132978.html)

Scissor Queen 06-25-2011 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by Dee Dee
Has anyone made the Orion Star quilt with Thangles? I've never used Thangles, but the quilt looks beautiful.

Also, if you recommend the quilt, where is the best place on the web to purchase the Thangles pattern?

I'm in the process of making that quilt. I cut all of my fabrics first and then started using the Thangles. I hated them. But once you've cut your fabric you pretty much have to use them or another method to make HST from rectangles instead of squares. I think overall it takes slightly less fabric to use the Thangles method since you can use fat quarters to make the quilt.

I had taken a class from Sally Schneider and she introduced us to her "Gizmo." It's a little angle tool that lets you make 2 inch HST from 2.5 inch X 3.5 inch rectangles instead of 2 7/8ths inch squares.

Candace 06-25-2011 07:54 AM

If you're into using Thangles you should really consider purchasing the Triangulations CD. 25$ or so for an endless amount of papers for ANY size you want forever and ever;> No rulers, no fuss, no thinking. Just the way I like it.

Rose Marie 06-25-2011 08:09 AM

Isnt Orions Star an Eleanor Burns pattern?
Her method is much better than Thangles.

CoyoteQuilts 06-25-2011 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by Rose Marie

I could not keep the paper on my material straight enough to keep my stitching straight with Thangles and get the HST right.

I agree that even though you have to trim down, that El's method is much easier and wastes less fabric.

Rose Marie 06-25-2011 08:45 AM

You can use a smaller square than her ruler suggests.
I use a 6 in square for 8- 2 1/2 in HST.
Also instead of drawing one line to sew down each side, Ive found the 1/2 in rulers that mark the stitching lines themselves helps me. My sewing has never been straight so this helps me alot.

AFQSinc 06-25-2011 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by CoyoteQuilts

I could not keep the paper on my material straight enough to keep my stitching straight with Thangles and get the HST right.

I agree that even though you have to trim down, that El's method is much easier and wastes less fabric.

I've looked at Eleanor Burn's Orion star quilt. It has a much different look from the Thangles one. I think the Thangles one is more dramatic.

Scissor Queen 06-25-2011 11:59 AM

Two different patterns, same name. The Thangles Orion star is very similar to a Hunter's Star.

Dee Dee 06-25-2011 12:38 PM

They may be different quilts. The Thangles Orion Star looks like the Hunter's Star quilt. I went to Eleanor Burns site at her Orion Star looks very different. It is also very pretty. I like Eleanor Burns methods in most quilts. Thanks for the info.

Dee Dee 06-25-2011 12:39 PM

Thank you. You said it much better than I did. :lol:

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen

Two different patterns, same name. The Thangles Orion star is very similar to a Hunter's Star.

Dee Dee 06-25-2011 12:52 PM

I may be onto something here. I did a search for Hunter's Star on the board and came up with a posting saying the book Favorite Traditional Quilts Made Easy has an easy method for making the quilt without paperpiecing. I've seen that book a million times at Joann Fabrics, but never picked it up. Any of you tried the Hunter's Star pattern from that book?