Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Thangles-What are they and how are they used? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/thangles-what-they-how-they-used-t20578.html)

blzzrdqueen 05-26-2009 06:47 AM

I have 2 packages of Thangles that came in a tote of fabric scraps that I got off FreeCycle. I don't know what they are or how they are used. Can someone explain them to me? One package is 2.25" finished and the other is 2.5" finished.

gaigai 05-26-2009 06:58 AM

Hi BQ,

Thangles are paper patterns to make half-square triangles. Take two different fabrics (whatever colors you want your HST's to be) and place them right sides together. Pin the Thangles paper on top. Set your stitch length to about 1.5, and sew on all the straight lines. After you've sewn on all the straight lines, use your rotary cutter and cut the paper and fabric on all the dotted lines. Remove the paper, finger press open, and you have perfect HST's. You can get a CD with different size HST patterns and print them on your printer.

Rose Marie 05-26-2009 07:21 AM

I have all the different sizes that I bought some time ago. Then I discovered El Burns method, so much easier and no paper.
By the way if you do use the paper method, to remove the paper you put your thumb nail on the stitch line in the middle of the half sq then pull it off.

blzzrdqueen 05-26-2009 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by Rose Marie
I have all the different sizes that I bought some time ago. Then I discovered El Burns method, so much easier and no paper.
By the way if you do use the paper method, to remove the paper you put your thumb nail on the stitch line in the middle of the half sq then pull it off.

What is the El Burns method?

Rose Marie 05-26-2009 08:03 AM

You use large squares and just draw a line from each corner to make an X. Sew 1/4 inch on each side of lines. Cut in half at the middle both ways + then on lines. You will have 8 half square triangles. Use a 6 inch sq for 2 1/2 inch half squares. Add 2 inchs for each size. 8 inch squares makes 3 1/2 inch HST. They are slightly over sized so you square up with her ruler.
The ruler gives all sizes for both HST and quarter triangle sqs.

CajunQuilter2 05-26-2009 06:03 PM

what is E Burns method?

littlehud 05-26-2009 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by Rose Marie
You use large squares and just draw a line from each corner to make an X. Sew 1/4 inch on each side of lines. Cut in half at the middle both ways + then on lines. You will have 8 half square triangles. Use a 6 inch sq for 2 1/2 inch half squares. Add 2 inchs for each size. 8 inch squares makes 3 1/2 inch HST. They are slightly over sized so you square up with her ruler.
The ruler gives all sizes for both HST and quarter triangle sqs.

Wow, that does sound easier. I'm going to have to try that.

sajackson 05-27-2009 04:12 AM

Thangles are a method to extract money from your wallet for no good reason! rofl