Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Are there any other " idiots " out there like me???? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/there-any-other-%22-idiots-%22-out-there-like-me-t32631.html)

Fritzy 12-29-2009 10:11 PM

I've been working on my quilts for kids & have read over the instructions I don't know how many times but dumb dumb here didn't catch something or else just plain forgot. I had all the quilting done on the one I had made from my stash & was just looking at the instructions again for the binding when I saw it. Please do not use invisible/or mono filament thread since it melts!!!! Guess what I did ! I was so @#* upset with myself that now I don't know if they will still take it. Has anyone else made this stupid mistake? I guess I'll have to e-mail them & see if they will accept it or just make another one & donate this one to another charity. Help!!

BellaBoo 12-29-2009 10:20 PM

It's normal for me to be an idiot so I think you fit right in with me. I wouldn't ask the organization if they will accept the quilt since they did state please do not use the invisible thread. That will have someone trying to say thank you but no thanks.

dglvr 12-29-2009 10:21 PM

Hahaha NOPE. Not me. :mrgreen:
I had never heard of a charity requesting no clear thread.
Hmmm. Sorry I can't help. Good luck though. Are there
other charities around?

nursie76 12-29-2009 10:22 PM

From what I have read, these quilts will be subjected to industrial type washers and dryers. That could be why they are concerned about the monofilament thread. Maybe it doesn't hold up to the high dryer temp.

Don't feel bad, I have done things like that too. You know what you are doing and you jump in cause you are anxious to start and your eyes just skim right over one or two little words. Don't beat yourself up over it. I will bet there is another charity like a homeless shelter or domestic abuse shelter that deals with little ones that would love to have it.

lisalovesquilting 12-30-2009 12:31 AM

Your local Children's Services (foster care) would love to have it. The two guilds I belong to make quilts for two county Children's Services. They are very happy to get them. They tell us that the children's eyes just light up when they can choose a quilt.

Evelynquilts 12-30-2009 03:00 AM

I sew for Linus and they also request you do not use invisible thread...You might look into a homeless shelter or missionary group...they would be happy to receive it...

marsye 12-30-2009 04:15 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I never do anything like that!

Elisabrat 12-30-2009 04:28 AM

I love the clear thread myself, when you accidentally fall out of the ditch.. it doesnt show. That said they dont want the clear thread because 1)it can melt and 2)if it breaks off its a bit sharp and it might be hard on the kids if they get poked I guess. So donate away to some other org. Darn it though.

ckcowl 12-30-2009 05:59 AM

kind of rule of thumb...use invisible thread on wall hangings and quilts for show which will not be used and washed often...use good ole quilting thread on quilts which are for use...
not all of the invisible threads melt in the dryer, but all of them are kind of 'pokey' when a tip sticks out.....we've all had that item with the tag sewn on with (fishing line?) drives you crazy until you get rid of it!

Lostn51 12-30-2009 07:50 AM

I use mono filament for fishing not quilting..........

the instructions stated not to use it because it will melt in the drier and can cause a choking hazard. But dont feel to bad it wasnt until the 4th one that I read that you were to zigzag over the binding edge to keep the IV from hanging on the quilt.

Billy