Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Is there some magic spell or fairy dust that'll help with free motion quilting? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/there-some-magic-spell-fairy-dust-thatll-help-free-motion-quilting-t106932.html)

carslo 03-16-2011 06:36 AM

Try a different type of thread in the bobbin, through trial and error I am discovering that a lighter weight bobbin thread is best for my machine.

Nana B 03-18-2011 01:30 PM

Love magarita, sounds like maybe 2 would be in order!!!!!

bjray600 03-25-2011 10:12 AM

I loved reading all the responses about FMQ. I have solved that problem for myself. I work a part-time job and pay my long arm quilter for her expertise. My quilts are works of art for my family thanks to her. I give her half the credit for every one of them. I also loved all the responses on cat quilts. Wish I knew how to show you mine.

almostfree 03-25-2011 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by jdiane318
It's called Xanax and a margarita.

LOL!

fabric whisperer 03-25-2011 10:30 AM

find someone that has that fairy dust, they would be instant bagillionaires! ROFL

charity-crafter 03-25-2011 10:34 AM

I haven't read all the replies yet but a friend of mine swears by the "box of wine" method of FM quilting. Practice and drink. After you've practiced some and start on your project have a class or 2 of wine to loosen you up.

Oh, and it holds together anounce it a "design element" I meant for it to look like that. Unless, like I did once with my tension not correct, you pull one string and everything comes out...

aussiequilter 10-23-2011 10:21 PM

It's possible I might have found the FMQ "fairy dust" on the Internet. Read somewhere out there that you don't have to put the feed dogs down. I couldn't see how you could really free motion quilt with those teeth still sticking up but, having tried everything else, next day I put the darning foot on the Designer SE Husqvana, dialled up the straight quilting stitch (which seems to put most settings at zero) left those feed dogs right where they were and away it went. Maybe with the feed dogs in place the lower tension is still in the control of the sewing machine, not the sewer, which was always my big problem. And it's alcohol-free. Might be worth a try. If it doesn't seem to be right, add alochol.

charity-crafter 10-24-2011 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by aussiequilter
And it's alcohol-free. Might be worth a try. If it doesn't seem to be right, add alochol.

:lol: Too funny. But I've noticed that if I don't put the feed dogs down it seems to work better. I figured I was doing something wrong and didn't want to say anything.

Numa 10-24-2011 06:36 AM

Listening and watching Leah Day really helped me. And one day it just came together! Practice was also involved too of course!

Debbie B 10-24-2011 08:59 AM

I wonder if certain machines will work better with the feed dogs up? Mine go down & if I have them up it will not move very well.