Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Is there some sort of secret to quilting that I don't know about? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/there-some-sort-secret-quilting-i-dont-know-about-t3314.html)

Flying_V_Goddess 11-24-2007 09:39 PM

The other day I found that my friend had drawn a design in my notebook (probably during the play when I was performing my two scenes and she was off-stage). I got the idea to quilt the design as kind of a practice thing. Well...it ended up turning out terrible. Every time I needed to work on a curve (which was a good portion of the time) I couldn't get it to work right...it ended up looking square and sometimes when I'd go to turn the fabric the needle would somehow end up making a single zig-zag stitch.

What am I doing wrong?

ArtquilterNEWWAYtoQUILT 11-24-2007 10:04 PM

:? :wink: Well I have learned that each piece is different somehow,and that Practice like with everything makes perfect, if not perfect makes it all much better.I've not been into it long but it does work Practice!!

patricej 11-25-2007 03:28 AM

my own freemotion results are ... shall we say ... interesting. :lol:

first big problem is tension. not just thread. me. i get too tense and tight. i press down on the quilt with my hands. things go better when i'm resting them lightly on the quilt - just enough pressure to move it around. a lot of people have said here that quilters' gloves help because they "grip" the fabric so you don't need to apply much pressure at all. my guess is that the inexpensive gardenders' gloves with the textured palms would work as well.

then there are all those teeniny lumps and bumps on the machine bed. around the throat plate; the screw well; etc. i haven't purchased one of those silicon mats yet. in the meantime, i cut a piece from a manila folder and taped it and a layers of freezer paper, shine side down, to the machine bed to smooth it out a bit. not a complete cure, but it makes a difference.

so i guess it boils down to: (1) drop the feed dogs if you can; (2) use the correct foot - darning/embroidery/freemotion; (3) get your surface as smooth as possible; and (4) RELAX.

1 through 3 are easy. #4 is kickin' my butt. :lol: :lol:

Rebecca Chambley 11-25-2007 05:43 AM

I experienced some of the problems you stated, When I started free-motion, and meandering. The gloves, REALLY helped me, more then I can state. And then I focused on relaxing. I really had to focus on relaxing. Music helped ME. I'm not saying that is the solution for everybody, But that was my ninch. I use nothing on the bed of my machine, to make my fabric glide smoothly. Again the gloves really made the difference for me. My little 1.00 gloves, helped me immensely.

DonnaRae 11-28-2007 07:43 PM

Yes I am the same as Rebecca. Either music, or something that is just talk that I am interested in on tv. My mind goes to the music or talk and the quilting begins. But I started with realy easy designs. And am still just doing feathers and such. But getting better without so many sqiqqles. :wink: And the gloves do make a huge difference!

Connie Hadba 12-02-2007 01:18 AM

Have you sewn clothing and worked on sleeves that curve? With quilting pieces that curve, the process is the same. Ease the pieces and pin them well. Then sew slowly. You will also find that clipping the curves helps the curve to lie more smoothly.

When you turn the fabric, be sure the needle is down before you lift the pressure foot; then the fabric won't move and the needle stays in place. My problem is that the needle has a tendency to move even when in the down position. I discovered that I was pulling the fabric when I turned it and moved the needle slightly. If you use a throat plate on the machine that is used for straight stitich only, the needle doesn't move.

Relax and enjoy what you are doing. Who says everything we make has to be perfect? We learn only from our mistakes.

Good luck with your project.

Connie

DonnaRae 12-02-2007 11:03 AM

Connie, Wow Good Tip. Maybe the needle plate will help me. I am going to try quilting on my Old Kenmore that has a single needle plate. Thanks for the tip!