Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Is there a way to use a regular sewing machine to do serging? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/there-way-use-regular-sewing-machine-do-serging-t177230.html)

kitsykeel 01-27-2012 10:57 PM

Is there a way to use a regular sewing machine to do serging?

I have always wanted a serger but have not had the money to spend on one. Is there a foot or attachment for a regular machine that will allow one to serge?

SevenupinNC 01-28-2012 04:38 AM

You can use an overcast stitch to finish an edge similar, but it will not cut off the selvage.
Someone posted a neat machine that was a sewing machine on one side and a serger on the other here, about a month or two ago. I've never seen that before!

I'm not sure what your budget is, but you could watch Craigslist or mine is from a sale at Hancocks, its a Janome and was $199. It works really well, I use it in construction of children's clothes, cloth diapers, towels, etc.

Daylesewblessed 01-28-2012 05:00 AM

Some machines have an attachment that cuts as it sews. They are called "sidecutters".

Dayle

judylg 01-28-2012 05:34 AM

Gooc question, I have wondered the same thing, I do not have a serger either. Never thought I could justify spending more and then not using it all that much.

Dolphyngyrl 01-28-2012 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by Daylesewblessed (Post 4918207)
Some machines have an attachment that cuts as it sews. They are called "sidecutters".

Dayle

Yes brothers and babylocks have sidecutter feet for the overcast stitches, that are similar, but the strength is still not that of a serger but if you don't want to invest the money in one it is a cheaper alternative

Dolphyngyrl 01-28-2012 08:56 AM

I don't have one so I can't tell you if they work

cabbagepatchkid 01-28-2012 09:01 AM

Back in the 70's when I was sewing clothes for my kids I just sewed a regular seam, then trimmed the seams and then did an overcast stitch. It wasn't that much extra work, either.

bakermom 01-28-2012 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl (Post 4919070)
Yes brothers and babylocks have sidecutter feet for the overcast stitches, that are similar, but the strength is still not that of a serger but if you don't want to invest the money in one it is a cheaper alternative

I have used the one that comes with my Brother. It does work but as she said , you don't have the extrs strength you get with a serger. If your goal is just to finish the seams it will do what you want. I do have a serger that got quite a workout when i was sewing for my family. If you just need it occasionally the sidecutter should fill that need at a reasonable price.

The only complaint i had was that it didn't cut as smooth as my serger, that could have been the fabric or the blade.

Tink's Mom 01-28-2012 09:36 AM

You won't get the best finish with a sidecutter...I would recommend saving your money and getting a used serger.

Up North 01-28-2012 09:46 AM

My mom has two that fit her Nicchi machine I wonder if they will work on one of my machines.