Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Thermoweb Heat'n Bond Lite Iron-on Adhesive (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/thermoweb-heatn-bond-lite-iron-adhesive-t212078.html)

CarolinePaj 01-26-2013 03:18 PM

Thermoweb Heat'n Bond Lite Iron-on Adhesive

Hi Guys,

Has anybody out there in quilting land used this product... And if you have, how does it compare to Steam a Seam Lite 2????????

Any information you can give me would be really helpful.

Hugs

Caroline

Lori S 01-26-2013 04:00 PM

It is a bit stiffer than steam a seam, its must be sewn once fused. One word of caution with Heat and Bond lite... if you use it on some batiks it will leave a "stain"that shows through to the right side of the fabric. Its a dark oil like mark, that no matter what you use it will NOT come out. I use Heat and bond lite to temporarily hold a large piece of a quilt in place till I could quilt it.... The 1/2 in strip I used ... once I ironed the top was permanently "stained" in a 1/2 inch straight line where I had used the Heat and Bond Lite.
I have never had this experience with steam a seam. Personally I think the bond of steam a seam lite 2 is stronger than Heat and Bond lite.

auntpiggylpn 01-26-2013 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by Lori S (Post 5815740)
It is a bit stiffer than steam a seam, its must be sewn once fused. One word of caution with Heat and Bond lite... if you use it on some batiks it will leave a "stain"that shows through to the right side of the fabric. Its a dark oil like mark, that no matter what you use it will NOT come out. I use Heat and bond lite to temporarily hold a large piece of a quilt in place till I could quilt it.... The 1/2 in strip I used ... once I ironed the top was permanently "stained" in a 1/2 inch straight line where I had used the Heat and Bond Lite.
I have never had this experience with steam a seam. Personally I think the bond of steam a seam lite 2 is stronger than Heat and Bond lite.

Thanks for the heads up LoriS! I used to use whatever fusible was on sale and mostly WonderUnder. I purchased Steam a seam lite for a project and love it! I went back and got more just so I would have it on hand.

ewecansew 01-26-2013 08:24 PM

I use Heat and bond lite and have never had a stain-thru problem. When I use it, I just leave a small (1/4 inch) on the inside so I don't get the stiffness in the middle of the larger pieces.

CarolinePaj 01-27-2013 09:38 AM

Thanks guys,

any more thoughts????????

ckcowl 01-27-2013 10:15 AM

i've been using heat n bond lite for years- the difference is (steam a seam you use steam to fuse it) heat N bond you use a dry iron.
i've also used it with many batiks and have never had the (stain) problem mentioned above...i did have a problem once when i used an iron that was way too hot & i kept it on the fabric way too long-
the issue that was described above with the batik could easily have been caused by the wax in the fabric not being completely washed away- sometimes you will get a batik that still has a waxy feel to it- those unless you pre-wash in hot water-remove the excess wax can cause some problems using any fusable. i'd say her problem was a problem with the fabric not with the fusable product being used.

Lori S 01-27-2013 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl (Post 5817753)
i've been using heat n bond lite for years- the difference is (steam a seam you use steam to fuse it) heat N bond you use a dry iron.
i've also used it with many batiks and have never had the (stain) problem mentioned above...i did have a problem once when i used an iron that was way too hot & i kept it on the fabric way too long-
the issue that was described above with the batik could easily have been caused by the wax in the fabric not being completely washed away- sometimes you will get a batik that still has a waxy feel to it- those unless you pre-wash in hot water-remove the excess wax can cause some problems using any fusable. i'd say her problem was a problem with the fabric not with the fusable product being used.

I really beg to differ as I tested other batiks and had similiar results, I prewashed with hot water etc and still had issues with Heat and Bond leaving a stain. The issue with the different fabrics reacting differently with the Heat and Bond is exactly what I was cautioning. The same fabrics had no issue with steam a seam.

grammysharon 01-27-2013 11:09 PM

I have used it in wallhangings but would not use it in a quilt as it is stiff!!

maconquilter 01-28-2013 06:24 AM

I used this exact product on my house quilt wall hanging. Keep in mind....my experience at this point in any quilting endeavor is totally my first attempt! #1 I could not hand quilt anywhere I used this stuff. :( #2 I have stain marks where I used it on more expensive fabric scraps. It could be the fabric someone mentioned above starting with a "b". LOL. The product for sure serves its purposes, however, I know now where to use it and not to use it. Good luck. I too will watch for others suggestions on like products.

narnianquilter 01-28-2013 06:47 AM

Honestly, I prefer Steam a Seam myself, simply because Heat Bond does seem to leave any projects stiffer and harder to quilt through. One thing that works BETTER than the Steam a Seam is a spray on batting! I've got the Dritz Basting Spray, and I managed to get 6 quilts together out of one can before it gave out! And it is LOADS faster than steam a seam. It has also worked well with a recent applique project.