Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Thimbles (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/thimbles-t8630.html)

nellie 07-01-2008 11:56 AM

ruth i have the same problem ,when i try to hand quilt, i start with my index finger so i put thimble on that finger ,than when push needle down to make my frist stitch im using my middle finger, i have tried every thimble out there , and still have trouble my fingers are very small i need a good size 4 on index and 5 size on middle im also left handed, i even have thimbles that marcia showed on post can anybody help and give me lessons thank you nellie

Kyiav10 07-01-2008 02:52 PM

I found that I like a leather thinble. I can feel and guide the needle much better. It fits over my finger and I can use it on my thumb too which I like.

Kyia

Cathe 07-01-2008 08:39 PM

Sometimes I use a leather thimble, but most of the time I just use a regular ol' metal safety thimble. I am accustomed to wearing it.

fabricluvr 07-02-2008 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by Moonpi

Originally Posted by Up North
I use the soft leather deekskin thimble I have gotten them at Ben Franklin and Joanns, they have blue knit ribbing, fit well and stay on. They do wear out but you can turn them around and use them for quite some time.

http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog.jsp?CATID=cat2861

Me too! They get so soft and comfortable, and let your fingers breathe, too.

me three . . . just bought a couple of extra in case i lose the one that i had!

quilting notions 50% off at jo-anns right now (in the stores).

Suz 07-03-2008 05:37 AM

I purchased my thimble from DeeDee McElroy at the Lancaster Quilt Show. I picked up one to try and said I needed a larger one. Dee said I actually needed a smaller one. The thimble is to just cover the fingernail. I wanted it to cover my writer's bump. When I wear my thimble, I can flip my hand and it does not come off. It just fits well.

The top of the thimble is open to accommodate longer nails. The dimples are deep and can be used when hand stitching or quilting. It is a little pricey and is also sterling silver. My thimble of choice.

DeeDee has a website. Goggle her full name to find.

Suzanne

Peggy1940 04-07-2011 04:26 PM

For those of you who use super glue on your finger tips, don't forget and do what my mom did. She super glued her finger, then put on her metal thimble. Ouch!

AudreyB 04-07-2011 08:17 PM

I guess I'm old fashioned. I like the silver ones that have been around forever. If it falls off, moisten your finger and it will stay on better.

roselady 04-07-2011 08:38 PM

When I first started quilting, I couldn't wear a thimble, I did every other kind of sewing without one. I was convinced, though, that I would need to learn to wear one for quilting. The first one that I used was a small black leather one with a metal disc in it, called "the Nimble Thimble". It really was like wearing nothing. The disadvantage of that one is the leather, eventually you will poke through the leather...ouch! That caused me to search for another kind, but by then I was used to a thimble so I was able to consider something else. The next one I liked, for awhile, was a plastic flesh colored one with an opening for fingernails, it was semi-adjustable and worked well for me until I tried the Roxanne thimble. It is expensive but lots of sizes available, what I like about this one is that you push the needle with the pad of your finger, not the top, I found that more comfortable, what I don't like about it, is it also has an opening for long fingernails, which I don't have, but even with very short nails, mine hit the edges of the opening and that made them kind of sore. If you have thin oval shaped fingertips and nails, it should work for you. After using Roxannes thimble, and getting used to pushing with the pad of my finger, I knew that's what I wanted but there aren't many like that to choose from, but I did find one. Clover makes it, and it is a bronze color, again with an opening for nails and it is semi-adjustable for sizing. I really like it and it is much cheaper than Roxannes. Wow, who knew so much could be said about thimbles!!

NJ Quilter 04-08-2011 02:07 AM

For my hand quilting I like the ThimbleLady thimbles. Google to find website. Measuring directions there. They have plastic, stainless steel and sterling silver. I started with the plastic not being sure I would like it and not wanting to spend $$$$ for a thimble I couldn't use. Wore that out fairly quickly. I'm on my second stainless one now. Wear it on my middle (pushing) finger. Takes a little bit of getting used to pushing with the pad of your finger instead of the tip the way most metal thimbles are designed. But it's cool to wear, works wonderfully and not an outrageous amount of money. Nice deep dimples to hold the needle.