Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Thin, heavy quilt? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/thin-heavy-quilt-t10065.html)

gracie_r 08-10-2008 06:31 AM

My husband gave me a beautiful handmade quilt for our second anniversary (the cotton one). It is very thin, but really heavy. How do I do that? I've made blankets, but purposely made them fluffier (is that a word?) so I've used really thick batting. I made a quilt from a kit and I used a really thin batting, but it still seemed really fluffy. And it was light. There isn't much "quilting" on it though - I don't know if that is the correct way to use that term. Not much stitching across the top is what I am trying to say.

The quilt DH gave me is cotton, so I don't think the fabric is what is making it so heavy. Is there a batting that would be heavier? Or do you just do a lot of quilting so it isn't poofy? Please help this newbie! I'd really like my quilts to be thin and heavy like the one he got me. Thanks!

patricej 08-10-2008 06:44 AM

Without seeing it, i wouldn't dare say "for sure" what's inside your quilt to make it both thin and heavy. in general, cotton batting is heavier than polyester. maybe that's it.

p.s. you used the term "quilting" correctly. :wink:

Moonpi 08-10-2008 07:05 AM

If you are used to poly batting, cotton batting would seem thin and heavy for sure. There are also wool battings, blended battings that could seem heavy. Can you contact the quilter to ask what she used?

mgshaw 08-10-2008 07:06 AM

Is it an antique quilt? Sometimes they used old blankets for batting or wool.

penski 08-10-2008 07:45 AM

i use the warm and natural quilt batting i get it at Jo ann fabrics( i am sure you could get it anywhere) it is thin but very warm after it has been put together in a quilt

Arizona Sunrises 08-10-2008 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by penski
i use the warm and natural quilt batting i get it at Jo ann fabrics( i am sure you could get it anywhere) it is thin but very warm after it has been put together in a quilt

I haven't used it yet, but warm and natural seems to be the favorite here and other places, as well.

gracie_r 08-10-2008 03:40 PM

Thanks for the replies everyone. I have been using that polyester stuff, so that makes sense why everything has been fluffy. I'll look for cotton or that warm and natural (we have JoAnn's here). Flannel sounds cool too, I'll have to remember that that is an option too.

Thanks again!

sewnsewer2 08-10-2008 05:35 PM

I use warm & natural too. I found it to be cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter and not too heavy on me. I curl up with mine every night while watching TV. :lol:

Melissa 08-10-2008 07:11 PM

I made a quilt that was foundation-pieced with muslin. I've noticed that quilt is feels much heavier than any other quilt I've made. I've tried using different materials to make it that heavy but nothing else has ever come close.

Carol W 08-11-2008 02:37 AM

My mil always uses a sheet inside of the quilts that she makes. My husband loves them. They are cool in the summer, but very warm in the winter.

Possibly it is something similar.