Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Thinking of moving my sewing space... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/thinking-moving-my-sewing-space-t29145.html)

lots2do 11-22-2009 10:56 AM

Hi,
So, I do have a very supportive husband...as far as my fabric/crafting addiction goes. We were talking about our some-day retirement home and he said we would need three bedrooms - one for sewing, one for guests, one for us.

While I sat here in front of one of my regular home decorating shows this afternoon, I suddenly thought about switching the treadmill into my sewing space and moving my stuff into the spare bedroom that is currently a junk room...

I think I'll do some measuring. Currently I'm in a space that's about 7 x 10 under the eaves with a wall half way around most of it. (Used to be closet and eave space until we had some remodeling down years ago). Frankly, my stuff is just spilling out of there into the hallway and other rooms. The spare room is much bigger.

Not sure how to broach this subject with DH. Any suggestions?
lots2do

joeyoz 11-22-2009 11:17 AM

Welllll, you start with, honey what would you think if WE (notice I stress WE, they want to be part of the decision making) rearranged a few things and turned part of this room into a sewing area for me. Blah blah blah. Go on to explain the benefits of this for you, so you are not cramped, sewing in a closet. If he is thinking ahead to when you move to a retirement home, why can't he make concessions now for that same reason now.

Just a thought. :D :D :D :D :D

Good luck. I hope this works out for you.

MadQuilter 11-22-2009 11:29 AM

Since you already talked about moving "someday" and he is on board with you getting a sewing room, I cannot imagine that your idea would be such a shock. Tell him that based on what you talked about you came up with this wonderful idea. It's logical.

Does he like to be included in things? Most men like to be needed and he can be a great partner in the implementation of it all.

Go slow, read the signs, and the forge ahead.

kluedesigns 11-22-2009 11:57 AM

a junk room and you're sewing studio isn't working for you.

sell the junk and move into the junk room.

a junk draw yes, a junk room is just too much junk.

measure the square footage of your home, compare that to the cost of your home to determine exactly what 1 square foot costs and multiply that by how many square feet your junk room is and them tell your DH exactly how much money it costs to store this junk - when the space could be used for better things.

tell him to move it, sell it, reduce it, whatever he wants but its going out of this room and i'm moving in.

BellaBoo 11-22-2009 12:53 PM

Goodness it would have never occurred to me to ask if I could use a unused room in my own home. :lol: Get rid of the stuff in the room, no use moving it to another space. Clutter is not healthy (unless it's in your sewing room) and stored stuff is stored clutter.

lots2do 11-22-2009 01:40 PM

Thanks, everybody,
It's not like I feel that I need permission so to speak. We've had a loss in the family this week (on his side, close relative) so that is where my hesitation is coming from. He is handling things very well, better than I, appearwise.
This does make sense to me, more and more but the timing is the thing to figure out.
:)lots2do
PS I do agree that junk is unhealthy. Since most of it is mine - this could just be the motivator to unload stuff. It's mostly paper so shouldn't be so tough. And his comment was what got the ball rolling, so to speak.

BellaBoo 11-22-2009 03:04 PM

I'm sorry your loss. :cry: If you can give me tips on how to move a threadmill out of a room doorway, I sure would like to know. Mine was put together in the room and now will not go out of the room. I'm about ready to turn the windows into French doors so the thing can be taken out. It's the big one , the kind you can run as fast as you want on. Taking it apart is not an option unless we want to hire a tech which would be the same price as sledge hammering this one apart and buying a new one. :evil:

amma 11-22-2009 03:20 PM

Bellaboo, I would put an ad in the paper "come and get it and it is yours!!!, bring some strong help!!!" Could several men tip it on it's side and carry it out?

mommaB 11-22-2009 04:13 PM

Bellaboo..if you want to get rid of the treadmill..someone will disassemble it and probably pay for it also, a bargain price is a real enticement, just be sure they know it has to be taken apart to get it out!! Mine currently has my ironed lab coats hanging on it :D

Lots2do..maybe cleaning out the room and moving your stuff would be a good activity to help the two of you work through grief? I always find that keeping busy helps alot..although you have the loss in the back of your mind, it wears you out so you can sleep and keeps you moving forward.

We're all with you in your sorrow,

Mary

Tiffany 11-22-2009 05:59 PM

I'm sorry to hear about your loss!

Men do like to be included and a good way to include him would be to ask his opinion on things like shelving, benches or tables, and bookcases. Is he handy? If he likes to build things, have him make a fat quarter shelf, like the kind you see in the quilt stores or a large thread rack; stuff like that. If he's not but he enjoys going to the hardware store (and what guy doesn't!?!), send him to research things like the best shelves to hold fabric and books. If he's like my DH, he'll know what will work best for the workspace. :wink: