Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   For those that make table runners..quick question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/those-make-table-runners-quick-question-t45096.html)

Hockeyrabbit 05-06-2010 02:00 PM

Hi-

Just wondering, but for those of you who make table runners for sale at craft shows or even as gifts, do you tend to layer it with batting and then create a backing, OR can I use FLANNEL without the batting? What's your preference??

Thanks

foxxigrani 05-06-2010 02:20 PM

I would also like to hear that answer. I have made the runners with the batting and backing, but didn't like the way things sat on them. Kind of shaky so was wondering also and the next one I made was going to be without. So am going to watch this. Thanks everyone in advance.

Rita

Barbm 05-06-2010 02:29 PM

I just discovered fusible fleece! I iron it to the top and then use a backing. It makes the top so smooth and easy to quilt. Most of the runners are "envelope style" and then fmq or outline stitched.

I also use batting but since I found the ff, I don't think I will use it anymore.

gail-r 05-06-2010 02:32 PM

If I want a "flat" type of table runner, then I usually use the fusible pellon fleece for the batting with a backing fabric. This is nice to machine quilt on. If you want a "puffy" table runner use a 4 or 6 oz. poly blend batting with a backing fabric. Harder to machine quilt on but very pretty results. Sometimes it is really fun to make the top with blocks and mitered borders and than put a piece of holiday fabric on the back. Then you can just turn your table runner over and decorate for a holiday. Great gifts.

nursie76 05-06-2010 02:34 PM

I have started to use Insulbrite for a lot of my runners. Seems to give a little more body and things set very nicely. My daughter uses them on her kitchen table and they get a lot of hot and cold/sweaty things set on them. I guess I feel it just gives a layer of protection to the table.

Marjoeal 05-06-2010 03:24 PM

Just made a table runner for my daughter-in-law and used a piece of felt inside. (I was recycling.) I washed it in hot water to make sure it was shrunk and used it just like batting. Turned out nice, flat, but heavy enough to protect the table. DIL loved it.

BKrenning 05-06-2010 05:04 PM

I normally use the Hobbs 80/20 batting scraps in mine with minimal in the ditch quilting and don't have a puffy problem. I've "birthed" them and bound them. The birthed ones seem flatter. I also recently made a table topper with built in remote control holders hanging on each side for an end-table hubby uses. I put the fleece backed vinyl on it to keep sweaty drinks from getting through to the wood. It gives it body without any puffiness at all.

Favorite Fabrics 05-06-2010 06:49 PM

I use Thermolam... I've also used Armo fleece, though I'm not sure they're still making that.

Personally, I do *not* like fusible fleece. I've found that fusibles tend to un-fuse after repeated washings.

I would love to know what the difference is between these and felt! They're both polyester, and feel about the same.

??

kayquilt 05-06-2010 07:18 PM

I have used flannel as a batting and found that it did pretty good. You don't get the "puffy" look but it does okay.