Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   For those of you who don't do Christmas... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/those-you-who-dont-do-christmas-t74660.html)

Mattee 11-06-2010 11:48 AM

what do you work on this time of year? I always use this time to enter into a sort of finishing frenzy. I try to finish as many projects as possible. I always enjoy it when everyone else is busy with family and holiday stuff, and I can just relax and finish projects.

What about you? How do you use this time if you don't do Christmas stuff?

himnherr 11-06-2010 11:54 AM

I just keep on with my current project. Right now I'm working on a "square in a square 2" for a friends wedding present in March.
I do enjoy seeing what everyone is making for Christmas gifts and then I copy and give on other occasions.

AlwaysQuilting 11-06-2010 11:56 AM

I confess I'm making quilts for presents this year but usually I just sit back and watch everyone else going crazy (and broke) with their decorating mania (they have to have more lights than the neighbors,etc) and shopping.
I don't decorate, bake or put up a tree anymore.
So much easier!
And getting rid of all that stuff gave me more room for sewing/quilting items, lol.
Jan. 1 they're packing up stuff. I'm relaxing and sewing. Love it.

plainpat 11-06-2010 11:57 AM

I seldom make Christmas gifts anymore.It just stresses me out to work on a deadline.So I give quilty things away when the mood strikes.
Like you, there's always a stack of UFOs awaiting borders,backing etc.I do some baking & candy making,address the few cards I send & enjoy the season.Love the music & cold snowy days.That's time for reading, sewing & lots of hot chocolate :-)

sall 11-06-2010 12:00 PM

And here I was, thinking I was the only person who would be quite happy if Christmas was abolished. Yes I do have grown children and grandchildren, and do spend time with them over the yuletide, but I would be quite happy to hide away

Sadiemae 11-06-2010 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by sall
And here I was, thinking I was the only person who would be quite happy if Christmas was abolished. Yes I do have grown children and grandchildren, and do spend time with them over the yuletide, but I would be quite happy to hide away

This makes me sad because I would be happy if I had children and grandchildren to celebrate with. I guess it just depends on your circumstances.

Mattee 11-06-2010 12:23 PM

I figured that with this many people, I couldn't be the only one who didn't celebrate Christmas.

joan_quilts 11-06-2010 12:30 PM

I love Christmas! But, over the years, I have really slowed down with the hoop-la of it all. It seems so crazy with they BUY BUY BUY stuff.

I am doing 3 gifts for each of my grown kids. Oldest ds and his wife will get something together and then something small for each of them.

Middle ds, my Marine, is getting a digital camera and a camera card and stocking.

Youngest ds, who is 17, is all on his dad this year! LOL

I love to bake and have family around. I don't decorate as much as I did and I try very hard to AVOID the stores!

I love to be able to just sit and sew and enjoy my family. Simple times are the best times.

tuesy 11-06-2010 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Sadiemae

This makes me sad because I would be happy if I had children and grandchildren to celebrate with. I guess it just depends on your circumstances.

Sadiemae, I don't know where you are (location wise), but if you're close to me, we'd LOVE to have you! ((hugs)) To me, the more the merrier! :)

featherweight 11-06-2010 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by AlwaysQuilting
I confess I'm making quilts for presents this year but usually I just sit back and watch everyone else going crazy (and broke) with their decorating mania (they have to have more lights than the neighbors,etc) and shopping.
I don't decorate, bake or put up a tree anymore.
So much easier!
And getting rid of all that stuff gave me more room for sewing/quilting items, lol.
Jan. 1 they're packing up stuff. I'm relaxing and sewing. Love it.

Me too. Gave mine to DGD when she got married. I don't have time for that stuff anymore, to busy quilting.