Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Thread breaking during MQ practice (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/thread-breaking-during-mq-practice-t19246.html)

QuiltyLisa 04-20-2009 10:08 AM

My top thread keeps breaking while I am practicing my machine quilting.
What am I doing wrong here. I am using Coats and Clark 100% cotton machine quilting thread. I am stitching along and my stitches are looking even most of the time. just doing some basic loop-de-loops and stippling and then boom the thread snaps.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Lisa

QuiltyLisa 04-20-2009 10:14 AM

Also i checked the manual and everything they said, a scratched needle plate (needle plate is fine) scratched bobbin (bobbin is fine), scratched needle (new needle) so was wondering if I am putting to much pressure or moving the fabric too fast?

BellaBoo 04-20-2009 10:25 AM

Thread breakage is the worst problem I have with free motion machine quilting. I change needles, thread, tension and and sometimes that solves the problem and sometimes it doesn't. What works one time won't work the next time. :evil:

Stitching4Fun 04-20-2009 10:30 AM

I have a long arm and I have the same problem sometimes. What I found is.........it is the thread itself. I change threads and....voila....... all is fixed. Sometimes you can just have a bad spool. I was getting so frustrating when mine kept breaking so I changed the thread and it stopped doing it.............

try using another spool of thread.

Barb

kluedesigns 04-20-2009 10:53 AM

i agree with barb - its the thread. its could be a bad batch or maybe its old. even if you bought it just the other day it could be very old.

Prism99 04-20-2009 11:42 AM

If it's old thread, I've heard that placing it in the freezer (in a baggie, I think) is supposed to re-hydrate it. Haven't done that myself.

You might try switching to a larger needle and perhaps loosening the top tension slightly, to reduce friction on the thread.

minstrel 04-20-2009 12:06 PM

I'm with everyone else thinking it's the thread. I tried using the Coats and Clark 100% cotton thread, and it drove me NUTS! My machine hated it. I switched to the Red Star thread and haven't had a problem since. (And it's a little less expensive than some of the other name brand threads).

MadQuilter 04-20-2009 12:09 PM

Somewhere on this board is a thread about thread. I seem to recall that C&C didn't fare well in the discussion. Red Star and those from Connecting Threads did much better.

SulaBug 04-20-2009 12:12 PM

I too, agree with the other girls. Your thread must be the problem.
I have had it happen to me also & I know how frustrating it is.
Try buying another brand & see if it works better.
Good Luck sewing!!
:D :D :D :D

littlehud 04-20-2009 12:18 PM

I had that problem all the time when using Coats and Clark thread. I switched to Connecting Thread Essential thread and all was fine. ( well with the thread it was fine, I still need more practice with free motion quilting. ) I still use C&C for piecing.