I have a Janome 1600P which I am using on an older version of the HandiQuilter frame... Really struggled the first time I set it up. Then didn't use it for quite a long time. Unfortunately, my best piecing maching is the Janome and putting it on the frame and taking it down every day or so just doesn't appeal to me. So I make 3-4 tops and then set up for the quilting.
Once I got past all the issues with the first set-up, it worked pretty well. When I first set it up this time, it worked pretty well -- almost thru the first quilt. 2nd was more problematic with the thread breaking. I did the usual... rethread the machine, change the needle, try to determine if thread was breaking when I was changing direction -- worse going to the right -- up or down -- There seems no pattern. I may stitch perfectly all the way across the quilt and the thread will break a couple inches back towards the beginning. The thread breakage is sporadic. I am using a poly batting which I understand can be harder on the thread.
I have a question regarding a possible reason... Shortly after I got my Janome, the middle plastic donut (for lack of a better word -- it lined the interior of the embroidery foot) broke out of the foot leaving the exterior metal circle. Is it possible that there is a burr on the metal that is fraying the thread? It is not possible from the initial neutral position since the needle goes through in the center, but as I move the quilt, can I be enough out of time with the machine to bump the thread on the metal ring?
If that has any chance of being the problem, I will get a new foot. But thought I'd ask before spending the money.
I sounds like it "could" be the problem. I have the same machine and quilted a lot of tops. I finished one, cleaned it, changed the needle and could not get through a row without it breaking. I changed EVERYTHING. Finally I changed to a different spool of thread (same type,etc). Not a problem after that. I think I had a bad spool, which was replaced by the mfg with no questions asked. It was the same weight, etc. Just a different color. Once I changed it (knock on wood) I haven't had any problems. Have probably quilted 4 quilts since.
if you are using cotton thread, put in the freezer over night...sometimes just hydrating the fibers helps them move along better!
I have the same machine on my gracie frame
and havent had that problem yet. that sounds
like maybe that could be your problem. i only use
the 50 weight superior thread on mine.
thanks everyone... I will look for a new foot. See if that is the problem. Will also try the 50 wt superior thread.
I have the same machine and have had occasional problems with thread breakage or shredding. First, I cleaned and oiled the machine. Then changed to a quilting needle, sz 90/14. Changing to a quilting or topstitching needled worked for me. Another time, I broke a needle in the machine and it caused a burr on the hook in the bobbin area. This burr kept shredding the thread, especially cotton thread.
I don't know that putting thread in the freezer will hydrate it, especially if you have a frost-free freezer. But I do agree that putting thread in the freezer DOES help! I have a friend who was having problems with her thread breaking, she contacted the manufacturer, was told to stick it in the freezer overnight, and that fixed the breakage issues!
I strongly believe that thread breakage has to do with the hooping/tension/stability of the fabric. Since part of your foot is broken, perhaps it is not providing the "hold down" of the fabric when the needle comes up.
With thread breakage, I went through all the motions....thread, threading, needle, etc. Now I can use cheap, cheap, thread, and, if property hooped, have no breakage problems!