Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Thread drawer (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/thread-drawer-t858.html)

kathy 03-29-2007 11:56 AM

I saw some at Hancock's but they were pretty small, made of wood, I think you could stand them on the table or hang them on the wall. Looked like maybe 18-24 spools, I didn't look very close.

ButtercreamCakeArtist 03-29-2007 12:03 PM

I have a small three drawer plastic organizer I got at WM for around $8. I need to cut a piece of the non-skid rug backing or shelf liner and put in there to keep the spools from sliding. Maybe I need to buy more thread, that way they won't have room to slide! (oh, yeah. It's in the mail. Will be here any day).
The embroidery thread I buy most often has the little green thing on top that turns. I wrap the end of the thread around that a few times.
As for most other threads, I usually use the little notch made to hold the thread.
I would love to have a hanging thread rack. I want to make one.
http://www.oxmoorhouse.com/companion/crafters/default.asp?flag=threadrack
I am in a small "corner" of my bedroom with my sewing stuff. I took my son's changing table and started sewing on it. I have my rotary mat on it, too. If I cut, I have to move my machine. When we finish our downstairs, I will have the perfect sewing room! I'm into lots of other crafts and things, so it will be for everything! We built this house, and we're still working on it. The upstairs is not finished, but the downstairs is a nightmare! We need baseboards and "finishes"...upstairs. Downstairs is awful! ICK

bbwalkup 03-29-2007 12:16 PM

I have the wall mounted ones, and I love them. I actually have three and have all the thread divided into uses for the threads.
My Grandma has the ultimate wall thread holder my Grandpa made for her. Basically he took a small ladder (like you find at the second hand stores once used on bunk beds) and added dowl rods between the slats. I think he even added a middle board so she'd have extra row. The dowls are thin enough she even stores her extra bobbins on it.

patricej 03-29-2007 02:05 PM

well!!! i have been from thread to thread this afternoon. (admittedly, among the absolute worst of my puns. begging forgiveness now. :oops: )

you people are just getting wierder and wierder. drawers? racks? boxes? surely you know the only proper place to keep your thread is on the floor, under chairs, sofas, end tables, and behind the refrigerator! and - my personal favorite - right on the chair where i am bound to sit on it when i first go to my machine in the morning.

really, now. must i teach you EVERYTHING?
:mrgreen:

my mom's was one of those pegboards. daddy cut little dowels in sizes and lengths for the different spool sizes. stuck 'em in at an angle. my mom sewed like a fiend so they didn't last long enough to get dusty. if i ever get off my kiester to make one for myself, i'll probably hang it on a door and make a nice pretty ... what else? ... quilt to cover it and keep the dust out.

someday. (the sun won't go supernova for a few years yet, right?)

k_jupiter 03-29-2007 02:43 PM

Thread dwarers? Tred drawereses?

Hell, I 'll admit my ignorance. I only have two color threads for piecing, off white and black. And I don't change in the middle something if I have the wrong thread in. Who's gonna see it anyway? I ain't never done none of that there fancy top stichin'.

That said, all the two colors of thread (Variegated Brown and Maroon Red) I have used for actually quilting, go in the top shelf dooha of the plastic tool box I use for a sewing box. I have one BIG spool of fine polyester thread for ditch quilting, it sits on the BIG thread adapter spool holder on my sewing table. All my bobbins go in the cute red box that came with the Mighty Bernina 830 or in one of theose round plastic bobbin holders for the Elna's bobbins. And you have only 4 bobbins for each, right?

Iffum you need more thread spool storage, go to the fishing section of your local Walmart (if they haven't downsized that department too) and get some lure cases. I am sure those will do the trick.

Call me simple,

tim in san jose

zyxquilts 03-29-2007 03:03 PM

OK, Tim, you asked for it:

SIMPLE!

:mrgreen: :lol: :twisted: :D

sue

patricej 03-29-2007 03:22 PM

ditto

:mrgreen:

ceannastahr 03-29-2007 03:31 PM

Well first thing first the tangle mess I went to see my local floralist, when her flowers come in they have a plastic strechy netting on them she saves them for me. (she use to just throw them away) I just slide them over the spool of thread no more mess and I don't have to take off the strechy thing to use the thread.
Next: I have 2 120 spool racks 1 for embroidery and the other for just thread. They hang on the wall just high enough fo me to reach the top roll' On the one for emb thread I wrote the color# of each spool under the peg. This way when I have the sewout instruction with thread I don't have to pull each spool to see the #. Both racks are covered with a piece of window plastic it is tacked to the top and just hangs down I just reach under and grab the one I want.

Hope this helps

3incollege 03-29-2007 04:07 PM

I had my thread stored on a peg frame(June Tailor) and the thread got dusty and toke up counter space.
Now I have one of those thread containers that hold a ton of spools it is ARTBIN. they have a handle that I can carry to class or retreats. I just love it,They are fairly expensive,however I used my Joann coupon.
As for the bobbins I wrap a little girls ponytail holder, the mini ones, and it works perfectly. I don't know about you ,but I have a thing about thread.I love to buy it and I want all the different colors, it's like getting that box of 64 crayons. Donna

Yvonne 03-29-2007 04:52 PM

3incollege, you are so right. I love the threads they have out there now.

A caution I almost discovered the hard way. When our mom passed away I inherited her thread collection because I had three girls I was sewing for. Well, long story short, I didn't sew enough or fast enough. When I started making quilts I discovered that most of that old thread was not worth messing with. It was basically rotten. SO, I purged my thread drawer. I have a cute jar with all the wooden thread spools and colorful thread that is no longer useable. The rest was pitched out and I started all over again. It's been only a few years and I have two small drawers full of thread again. :lol: