Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Thread for Hand Applique? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/thread-hand-applique-t226370.html)

MsPatty 07-23-2013 05:37 AM

Thread for Hand Applique?

I"ve just discovered back-basting needle turn applique and it is perfect for me! My C&C dual-duty thread seems heavy. Is it really that much heavier than other threads? Which of the threads available is really best. It is too expensive to buy many to experiment with. What about the Masterpiece threads from Superior Threads in the frosted bobbins?

QuiltnNan 07-23-2013 06:04 AM

my favorite for hand applique is silk thread in a beige color. it disappears no matter what color the patches are.

DogHouseMom 07-23-2013 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan (Post 6191846)
my favorite for hand applique is silk thread in a beige color. it disappears no matter what color the patches are.

Agree about silk thread 100 wt. I have a 6 pack from Superior threads: black, white, dark & light grey, and dark and light beige. I'm covered!!

pocoellie 07-23-2013 06:24 AM

I've done some hand applique with machine embroidery thread, Metro threads has fabulous prices, tons of colors and excellent service.

mckwilter 07-23-2013 07:25 AM

The Superior Threads sets that come in the round bobbin keepers are good for doing the hand applique. They are usually 50/2. Mettler "Silk", which is actually cotton thread, and Aurifil are also 50/2. Most regular piecing thread is 50/3. I am using silk on my Baltimore Album quilt, but am using the Mettler on another project. There is debate about the silk thread cutting through the cotton fabric, but I figure that won't happen until I'm long gone. You can also check out the Superior Threads website, which has a lot of good information on threads.

Use your regular C&C for doing the actual back basting. You can also use a hand-quilting thread. You want to use a larger eyed needle and thicker thread so that you can see the holes in the fabric. I am experimenting with backbasting with my sewing machine, because it goes so much faster. For that, I am using my Gutterman cotton thread.

There is a Yahoo! group for hand appliquers and for machine appliquers, and many members belong to both groups. Lots of great advice and pictures.

MarLeClair 07-23-2013 09:27 AM

I do a lot of applique and I use quilting thread for back basting and YLI silk thread to applique. I have, over time, purchased many colors but the one I use the most is 235 which is a medium beige and sinks right in and fits most colors. I basically use earth tones so the 235 works for me. I you use more pastels there is a light beige that would work. When I found back basting and needle turn applique, I found my niche.

dunster 07-23-2013 03:34 PM

I really like using YLI silk thread, 100 wt.

Suze9395 07-23-2013 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan (Post 6191846)

Exactly what I use. It always looks great.

cabbagepatchkid 07-23-2013 05:44 PM

It probably isn't the best thread to use but I bought one of those emergency sewing kits (you can find it in your local grocery store) and it has 10+ little spools of varied colored threads. I made an appliqued doll quilt, as my first project, and many years later the kids are still playing with it and it's been washed many times. I probably wouldn't use that thread for an heirloom quilt but it's seems ok for everyday stuff.

franc36 07-23-2013 06:41 PM

I love the 100 weight silk thread for hand appliqué. I usually use thread to match the fabric being appliquéd; but use colors like beige, gray, or white if I don't have a match. The thing I like about the silk thread is that I don't see it once it is sewn into the fabric