Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Thread for hand quilting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/thread-hand-quilting-t118974.html)

RoundRobinP 04-26-2011 10:02 AM

Hi again,
I am sure I am going to repeat this question but have to ask. I have watched tutorial's on hand quilting, and saw this both ways, so I am confused. Do you double your thread or is it just single with a knot??

I am new to the hand quilting part of this and want to thank you in advance for the help..

Happy quilting,
Robin

amma 04-26-2011 10:03 AM

Most only use a single strand, but it also can be a personal preference :D:D:D

sueisallaboutquilts 04-26-2011 10:03 AM

Let me see if I can say this coherently:
I use a single strand of quilting thread (heavier than regular thread)
I take my thread and wrap around the needle twice, then move it to the end.
Does this make sense???

Hinterland 04-26-2011 10:06 AM

I use a single strand of hand quilting thread. I put a simple, single knot at the end - the quilter's knot I make is usually too big and makes holes in my top.

And - edited to add - I wiggle my needle in the batting before I pull the knot through. It seems to help bury the knot so it doesn't come out.

Janet

RoundRobinP 04-26-2011 10:10 AM

Thank you for your help! I love this board, your more help than the local quilt shop...Ok, so the nearest one is over an hour away..lol

:-)

Kitsie 04-26-2011 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by Hinterland
I use a single strand of hand quilting thread. I put a simple, single knot at the end - the quilter's knot I make is usually too big and makes holes in my top.

And - edited to add - I wiggle my needle in the batting before I pull the knot through. It seems to help bury the knot so it doesn't come out.

Janet

Glad someone else has trouble "popping" a double knot through the fabric! I also have to use just a single knot or
the thread breaks and sometimes it just will not go through at all!

Maia B 04-26-2011 10:42 AM

I use a single strand unless I'm doing sashiko, which traditionally has a double strand, but even in sashiko (traditional Japanese "big-stitch" quilting), I often use a single thread of variegated "thread" (it's actually more like embroidery floss). If you are quilting for youself and prefer your thread doubled, do it, no quilt police, eh?

Borntohandquilt 04-26-2011 12:01 PM

I also use a single strand of thread and I put three little knots in it on about 1 cm. The knots are quite easy to pull through the fabric.

Scrap Happy 04-26-2011 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by Kitsie

Originally Posted by Hinterland

Janet

Glad someone else has trouble "popping" a double knot through the fabric! I also have to use just a single knot or
the thread breaks and sometimes it just will not go through at all!

When I was learning to hand quilt this took some getting used to. When possible if you can start on a seam it is easier and helps you to get the feel of it. This will get better with practice.

RoundRobinP 04-26-2011 12:14 PM

I am so glad I 'found' all of you here on this board! You are all so generous with your time, to us, no matter where we are a newbie at!
Thank you all for taking the time to answer!!
Robin