Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Thread help (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/thread-help-t148423.html)

LLWinston44 08-27-2011 08:10 PM

I am having the darndest time trying to differentiate threads, let alone decide which to buy!! I had bought a nice big roll of Aurifil at my LQS at the suggestion of the store. She said it was cotton something with some sort of ply maybe... 3 ply? Or maybe 3 strand? I don't remember, but they were very certain that it was THE thread to use.
Since then, I've gotten a new Babylock and I do definitely love the Aurifil. It's like butter in my machine. Also, I do tend to be one of those "particular" kinds of people. I'm NOT a brand snob, but I do think there's something to be said for quality.
That said, I just don't want to keep paying $11 for a spool of thread (though it did last a looonnnnggg time) unless I have to.

Please help me. Lol.

Candace 08-27-2011 08:19 PM

Tristan Threads. Google it. It's where I buy all my Aurifil and it works out to be like $5 a spool:>

connie_1936 08-27-2011 08:50 PM

i think in my 70 years of sewing i've tried every brand. aurifil is the best .

NewYearsOld 08-27-2011 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by Candace
Tristan Threads. Google it. It's where I buy all my Aurifil and it works out to be like $5 a spool:>

I have never heard of it. I will have to check it out.

Maia B 08-27-2011 09:11 PM

I stocked up at Tristans on Candace's advice and WOW, what a huge improvement. Aurifil is absolutely my favorite thread.

Scissor Queen 08-27-2011 09:37 PM

If you figure the by the yard price of Aurifil compared to any other quality brand you'll find it's not any more expensive and it's actually cheaper than some.

Quilty-Louise 08-27-2011 09:54 PM

I love using the Connecting Threads and you can't
beat the price especially when it is on sale.

LLWinston44 08-27-2011 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by Quilty-Louise
I love using the Connecting Threads and you can't
beat the price especially when it is on sale.

What at connecting threads is good to use?? I'm going to go get some more Aurifil tomorrow because I'm nearly out.

Those of you that use Aurifil... Do you use it or everything? Or do you change it out depending on the project??

I can tell you this, I WILL be finding something different for those fabric bowls. Holy jamoly do they use a LOOOOTTTT of thread!!! Lol

ckcowl 08-28-2011 02:20 AM

try connecting threads- much better prices than your lqs for aurifil thread- i use it all the time too- great thread- they have a good thread selection at good prices- and free shipping at $50 so if you can stock up it is really a deal to not spend shipping costs.
i use lots of threads from connecting threads- the 100% cottons, the poly's the silks. they have a new machine quilting thread that is great- i just love their threads- great prices and great color selections

Candace 08-28-2011 06:42 AM

Sorry, Connecting Threads thread just doesn't compare to Aurifil!!!