Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Thread on PQ 1500S (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/thread-pq-1500s-t213292.html)

Weezy Rider 02-08-2013 08:31 AM

Thread on PQ 1500S

I bought the machine last month, I like it. Someone on another forum asked about thread coming out of the needle when using the thread cutter.

Mine does that - but the thread is curled! It springs out of the needle when tension is released.
I can see it curled when the takeup lever is at the lowest position and the needle is still in the fabric. The thread is curled in between.

I've been using Aurifil and now trying Prescencia. They curl. I had the tension looser since I was playing with 2 colors and didn't want the bobbin thread on top. It curled. I tightened the tension back up - it curled.

Serger thread does NOT curl. I use that when practicing since I have so many colors. A King Tut multi that I had bought for embroidery on another machine does not curl. I used the same spool of Aurifil on my Pfaff 2170 and it does not curl. It has nothing to do with the vertical bobbin as the Pfaff has the same setup.

Machine is threaded as shown in the manual. The 3 hole guide is as shown, but the text said you can adjust by using either one or all 3 holes. Haven't tried changing that yet. Can't seem to find which hole would be best.

The only things I know that make curls is pressure or heat. Since the thread is external, I doubt it's the lamp.

I can feel a hitch somewhere when I pull needle thread. I usually grab thread from the machine needle for hand sewing as it's handy. I thread with the foot up from long practice. Other than the curling thread the machine is working just fine.

What can I check and how can I check it?

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 02-08-2013 08:45 AM

I thread mine only through the first and third holes of the three hole thread guide. I also make sure the take up lever is fully up before using the thread cutter. Those two things solved my problem with the needle coming unthreaded.

Weezy Rider 02-08-2013 04:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
That's where mine was threaded. I cut it down to one hole and it is curling far less. I don't really mind the thread being pulled out. It's on the top. Sewing machine, same system with vertical bobbin, cuts the bobbin thread too close.

I just want to know why it is curling. [ATTACH=CONFIG]393953[/ATTACH]
This is how much curl before I changed to only one hole in that guide.

Beuhla 02-10-2013 03:34 PM

I just ordered this machine and can't wait to use it. Are u using it on a table or frame?

Weezy Rider 02-10-2013 03:59 PM

Neither. I have a Horn 2136 cabinet with a lift. I got acrylic cut and made a surround. The machine has a wooden shim under it as the cabinet is set for a Pfaff 2170. I can just swap machines. I use a zigzag for binding and the 1500 is straight only, so I'll have to stick the Pfaff in the cabinet. I also have a Koala lite set up for the Pfaff, but there is no room to quilt as that cabinet is up against a wall. So it will be swap machines.