Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Thread reviews and shopping online (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/thread-reviews-shopping-online-t226217.html)

Reb 07-21-2013 02:07 AM

Thread reviews and shopping online

I'm looking for an unbiased review of cotton thread. Anyone seen one lately? I've always used mettler but I'm getting a lot more lint than I used to, so the review should be fairly recent.

Question 2 is how do you buy thread online and get the matching shade you want? My LQSs don't carry much variety by color, maker, or spool size. : (

I've been studying this delimma for weeks now, looking forward to hearing from you! Appreciate any help.

Joset 07-21-2013 04:54 AM

i buy all my thread on line through superior thread. they have a whole
website to help you. and very good thread. i started using the masterpiece #3
last year and really like it.

gigigray032447 07-21-2013 04:59 AM

I use YLI soft touch for piecing. I rarely quilt anything so my choice of piecing thread is to ensure more accuracy. Have never been disappointed in this USA made thread.

SmickChick 07-21-2013 05:22 AM

One way to get the color you desire is to purchase the color cards sold by the thread vendor. However, IMO that's a pricey way of doing it. However, it is one way to get the color you want.

Dolphyngyrl 07-21-2013 06:08 AM

I think most thread comanies have a chart you can buy showing their colors. There are a lot of good brands.

BellaBoo 07-21-2013 06:57 AM

I use mostly Aurifil cotton thread for my top thread when piecing because I have so much of it. It's a very good thread, not much lint at all. Superior is very good with just about every color you could want.

Sandygirl 07-21-2013 07:07 AM

I buy neutral colors in Aurifil. My fav. Expensive...yes...awesome!

Sandy

Tashana 07-21-2013 07:13 AM

I try to use as little cotton thread as possible. That being said, I go for color, and if it happens to be cotton, so be it. The best way to order thread on line is to order a thread card - samples of thread wound and set on a cardboard background. Usually you have to order sepatate cards for every line - cotton, poly, gle in the dark, etc. Some are free, some cost a bit, and some quite a bit, but that guarantees you the perfect color match every time. A friend told me this a while back, and it brought peace and sanity to my on-line shopping for thread.

gale 07-21-2013 08:05 AM

I use Aurifil 50wt for piecing and usually buy it on ebay. As for color matching-I still haven't figured that out. So far I just let it not match.

QuiltE 07-21-2013 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by Sandygirl (Post 6188370)
I buy neutral colors in Aurifil. My fav. Expensive...yes...awesome!
Sandy

It may seem expensive, but when you consider the yardage in a spool ...... it's a good deal.
BEsides ... when we spend a lot of $ on our fabrics, why not go with a quality thread?

Colour matches ... as mentioned colour cards.
Or just order one spool at a time, then gradually you have some to base it on.

Also, when there are assorted colours in a group (usually better pricing too) ... I will order that, so I have my own samples! Last year I got 70(or so) spools of Aurifil, small size 3 or 4 of each colour ... gave me a great thread stash, and colour options at my ready as needed.