Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Thread Spools (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/thread-spools-t2919.html)

Chele 10-27-2007 02:44 PM

I have a little problem. I bought these nice size #50, 1200 yds., cotton spools of thread at JoAnn's during the 50% off sale. Unfortunately, the core/center is too large for my spool pin.

Do they make something that fits inside the larger spool to adapt to my smaller spool pin?

Or should I just take this stuff back and buy the smaller spools? Or do you just put the larger core stuff on the small pin and go for it?

lin 10-27-2007 03:12 PM

You can buy a little stand-up thingy that holds large spools. It just sits behind your machine, and you run your thread up into the slot at the top and then thread your machine as usual. Keeps your thread running nice and smooth. I got one at one of the quilt stores and I think it cost me around $10. I forget what the darn thing's called, but you can just tell them what you need it for and they'll know what you're talking about. :)

Chele 10-27-2007 03:50 PM

Thanks so much! I knew one of you would know what to do! And lin, I'm definitely trying your take on the runner. Yours turned out gorgeous! Maybe tomorrow's project?!! Laundry can wait!

luvmy2bts 10-27-2007 03:51 PM

I got some wooden spool adapters that are made for these spools at my local quilt store. Or if you have a handy hubby have him take a dowel the size of the inside of the spool and take and drill a hole the size of the spindle. I don't think the ones at the quilt store are very expensive there are two in a package and I think they are under $3.00

Debbie

Chele 10-27-2007 03:57 PM

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I just didn't know if they made adapters. Since you gals are fueling my quilting hobby, I would love to use the bigger spools! Seems like good thread, too.

luvmy2bts 10-27-2007 03:59 PM

I use it for piecing and machine quilting. I just use the neutral colors and saves me so I don't have to change the thread all the time. I wind about 10 bobbins and away I go! LOL

Debbie

Chele 10-27-2007 04:08 PM

I ordered more bobbins for my new machine too, Debbie. Funny thing, when I started your runner this morning, I put the 9" block square instead of on point. I realized my mistake after framing it. I had used white bobbin thread and it was so glaring against my dark batik background. Once I pulled everything out to do it correctly, I changed my bobbin thread to match the backing and started over. Maybe me messing up was a sign?!! Anyway, the runner was fun and I love how it looks. Thanks for the lesson!

Knot Sew 10-27-2007 06:00 PM

I use the large spools of thread, I use wooden chop sticks or skewers. I take out the spool pin and put in one of my tall boys......works great. :D

Chele 10-27-2007 06:12 PM

Ruth, I'm not sure what you mean. Do you fill the larger core of the thread spool with chopsticks to make it fit on the smaller pin? I have chopsticks!

dungeonquilter 10-27-2007 06:17 PM

I had a hint from a friend to tape a safety pin to the back top of your machine and just set the spool of thread behind your machine and run the through the eye of the safety pin and over your machine to thread as usual. Works quite well, and of course, you can't beat the price.
I just started using the prewound bobbins, and they sure last alot longer then the ones I wind myself.
Debra