Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Thread (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/thread-t198545.html)

quilt'nmomma 08-24-2012 02:18 PM

Thread

For those who use a LA what kind of thread do you use cotton or poly?
And where do you purchase it?

Peckish 08-24-2012 03:07 PM

Well, my experience has been that it depends on the quilter and the machine. I have one friend with 2 Homesteaders and she won't use anything but King Tut. She has her machines set up perfectly for that thread and refuses to mess with her tension settings. I have another friend with a Voyager and she uses Connecting Thread's Essential cones.

momto5 08-24-2012 03:15 PM

I use King Tut on my Gammill, as well as playing with Omni and now, Glide thread. I use a lot of Superior Threads choices and have been very satisfied. Will let you know how the Omni and Glide work out...

quilt'nmomma 08-24-2012 03:43 PM

where do you buy your king tut

BellaBoo 08-24-2012 04:12 PM

There are three LA in my area and I have to take the thread I want them to use on my quilt because everyone of them uses the cheapest big cone thread they can find that works and always all shades of beige. I asked them why not use better thread and charge more? They all have said they haven't tried any of the known brand threads as they cost too much. They nearly stroke out when I give them a big spool of Aurifil to use on my quilts, it's like using gold to them. Makes no sense to me at all.

soccertxi 08-24-2012 04:18 PM

I have used alot of different threads now, but when I 1st started with my mid arm, I only used King Tut. I have a Gammill now and am much more equiped to tweek the tensions. I have branched out! My go to threads are Permacore (TONS of colors), Omni (same weight as Permacore but a nice sheen to it), Sew fine (for when I want to do a finer line, need to backtrack and don't want thread build up). I even just bought some SILK (but it was pricey!) I am going to use that on a quilt for my husband. That dear man has been waiting YEARS for me to finish his quilt! I buy most of my threads locally to me at Mulqueens or 35th Ave Sew and Vac. I got the silk online at Superior Threads.

lfletcher 08-25-2012 06:21 AM

I use mostly poly. I like Permacore, Glide and YLI variegated. I have tried So Fine and it's okay. A friend likes Omni and another friend uses mostly Signature Cotton both of which I have yet to try. We all have different models of Gammills. I have the Bobbin Tension Gauge that I use with every bobbin change and I swear by this. I have had my machine a little over a year and have never had any tension problems. (Knock on wood.)

lfletcher 08-25-2012 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo (Post 5465256)
There are three LA in my area and I have to take the thread I want them to use on my quilt because everyone of them uses the cheapest big cone thread they can find that works and always all shades of beige. I asked them why not use better thread and charge more? They all have said they haven't tried any of the known brand threads as they cost too much. They nearly stroke out when I give them a big spool of Aurifil to use on my quilts, it's like using gold to them. Makes no sense to me at all.

That surprises me. I am a longarmer and belong to a longarm group and thread is one of our major discussions. We all use the name brand threads.

Deborahlees 08-25-2012 07:06 AM

King Tut is made by Superior Thead, available at LQS or directly from them, they have a great website, and are bases out of Arizona.....Great company with great thread

Peckish 08-25-2012 07:21 AM

Oops... Utah, not Arizona... still desert, though. :D

I'd LOVE to go to one of their pool parties they have in the summer!