Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Thread (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/thread-t78326.html)

grammy17 11-23-2010 04:38 PM

I am having trouble with the thread separating and breaking while doing FM. Using Janome 7700, Coats and Clark machine quilting thread size 14 needle. Also with C&C Dual Duty Plus thread. The machine wont stitch consistantly. sometimes wont catch at all. Cotton Machine Quilting thread is better. I am stressed.

grann of 6 11-23-2010 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by grammy17
I am having trouble with the thread separating and breaking while doing FM. Using Janome 7700, Coats and Clark machine quilting thread size 14 needle. Also with C&C Dual Duty Plus thread. The machine wont stitch consistantly. sometimes wont catch at all. Cotton Machine Quilting thread is better. I am stressed.

I would say your problem is the C&C thread. Coats and Clark is very linty and lumpy. I never use it for anything. I would use a size 12 needle and a better quality cotton quilting thread, like Gutermann, or Mettler, or one of the other good brands. But you have to use what works for your machine. I have Vikings and they don't like cheap thread. Good Luck!

RST 11-23-2010 05:34 PM

I'm not a fan of C&C thread either. Gutterman or Connecting Threads are good.

RST

grammy17 11-23-2010 05:38 PM

Thanks to all. I wondered. Been using C&C thread for 30 years and no trouble. Last month I sent a spool back to them for the same problem. They sent me two spools. Which I used completely with no problem. Then the next thing !BAM

quilterella 11-24-2010 02:36 AM

I have both the Janome 6500 & 6600, and neither of them like Gutterman or Coats&Clark. Mettler & Aurafil(when I can find it) is all I use. Janomes are wonderful machines but they can be finicky.

watterstide 11-24-2010 03:14 AM

there is a great little video on superior threads..all kinds of education videos..

http://www.superiorthreads.com/education/

I have had problems with certain threads, but it is usually a tension/needle issue.
i don't care for C&C because the spool got smaller and the price went up.
i use gutternman mostly but others too..

Connecting threads has great thread too..and not expensive either. you really need to look at the amount of thread on the spool and the price..Good threads are not that expensive when you looks at it that way.

deema 11-24-2010 03:21 AM

I don't usually have a lot of problems with C&C, but definitely more than with Gutterman. I prefer the Gutterman for quilting because it's not as..."linty", just using up my C&C on piecing at the moment. :)

I recently bought some thread from Connecting Threads with my fabric order. I haven't had a chance to give it a spin on my machine yet, but I hear good things. :)

QuiltswithConvicts 11-24-2010 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by quilterella
I have both the Janome 6500 & 6600, and neither of them like Gutterman or Coats&Clark. Mettler & Aurafil(when I can find it) is all I use. Janomes are wonderful machines but they can be finicky.

Janome 6600P here - found Connecting Threads does better than Mettler - not so much lint. I am in the process of buying every CT color they have so I can pitch C&C. Only use it for applique.

k3n 11-24-2010 04:33 AM

6600 here too and I use Superior Threads for quilting- King Tut, Masterpiece, Bottom Line in the bobbin (sometimes for quilting too!) I use YLI 60 wt for piecing, sometimes Aurifil 50 wt. Except the BL, all 100% cotton extra long staple fibres - to my mind, it's not worth the hassle to use cheaper threads plus the lint can shorten the life of your machine and/or increase your servicing requirements so is a false economy.

AnneT 11-24-2010 04:52 AM

With the C&C thread, I had to use a topstich needle, otherwise it'd have kept breaking. Currently, my Pfaff doesn't like to quilt with King Tut in the bobbin, so I use Aurifil in the bobbin and King Tut on top. Have to visit my sewing machine shop next week to have this checked.