Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Thread too thick for machine to handle? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/thread-too-thick-machine-handle-t5055.html)

Jeepers 03-08-2008 03:42 PM

So, I got some new thread that was on sale at the store and I thought it sounded great. It's made by Mettler and it's Quilting waxed extra strong thread. 30 some % cotton and 60 some % polyester. I think my machine can't handle how thick it is. The tension spring thingy keeps on grabbing onto the thread too much and making things bind up. I thought my machine was messed up, the timing or something? I thought to try regular thread...and it works like a charm. So, I really wanted a stronger thread that is more durable as I'm working on a quilt that I want to be very sturdy. Any suggestions? Is the thread I recently bought any good? Any other thread suggestions?

I'm really not used to using a machine to quilt, so bear with me! ;)

Country Quilter 03-08-2008 04:01 PM

Does it say on the thread "hand quilting"? That might be your problem...it needs to say "machine quilting"

Knot Sew 03-08-2008 04:02 PM

Waxed thread is used only for hand quilting. I use all cotton or muti purpose for the machine when piecing or quilting :D

Jeepers 03-08-2008 04:32 PM

It doesn't say hand quilting, maybe they need to idiot proof their label ;) Alrighty, that answers my questions, lol!

Country Quilter 03-08-2008 04:54 PM

Don't be too quick to judge yourself....I did the SAME thing the first time I went to machine quilt..... I used "quilting" thread...not realizing there was a difference between hand and machine quilting thread! I didn't get very far, needless to say! LOL My MIL didn't teach me EVERYTHING! LOL some I've had to learn by experience!

Cathy M 03-08-2008 05:22 PM

That is something everyone of us has probably done. I know I've picked up spools without really looking at it and then started saying bad words as it just didn't work right. Of course, being a SLOW learner, I'd keep trying to make it work for a bit before checking the thread. And its okay to open the back door and chuck it outside - it will make you feel better :):):) I'm pretty sure its biodegradeable.

Country Quilter 03-08-2008 06:02 PM

LOL been there done that!

k_jupiter 03-08-2008 11:56 PM

It's a fallacy to think that the strongest thread is the most desirable thread for quilting. If the thread tears your material apart, it's a lot harder to replace fabric torn on a seam than to replace the seam itself.

For piecing get yerself some 50/3 or 40/2 good quality 100% cotton thread. I use Mettler Silk finish. On my daughters quilt I did use a polyester thread on the bobbin side for quilting, but then again I used a lightweight drape fabric for my back and I think it will hold up (for about a thousand years). For the most part, just use good quality 100% long fiber cotton and you will be fine.

tim in san jose

Arleners 03-12-2008 07:12 PM

I don't know for sure, but it is my experience that the waxed quilting threads are intended for hand quilting. I have been told that using them in your sewing machine will damage your machine tension discs.

Quilting Aggi 03-13-2008 04:05 AM

I've been told that machines don't like pre-waxed quilting thread especially in the bobbin. Anyone else hear that?