Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Thread Turner, holy cow (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/thread-turner-holy-cow-t64523.html)

Rosyhf 09-13-2010 09:00 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Guys and Dolls, guess what? I have invented my own thread turner hahahahah

Anyway, someone posted one by a company and it was very expensive but made a lot of sense.

I took one of those empty dvd cases with the spindle in the middle, I left the clear disk in there, placed the thread on and put that on a block, put an office clip on one of my machine spindles, in order to guide the thread and it works great.

Now the stitches are very nice but I think if I got a 3 or 4 inch lazy susan, it would fit right under the clear disk and it might even be better. I will just have to go out to the hardware and will get back with you guys on it.

Scissor Queen 09-13-2010 09:02 AM

The thread should be coming off the top of that spool since it's a cross wound spool. Take the spool holder off the box and just set it behind your machine.

C.Cal Quilt Girl 09-13-2010 09:05 AM

Great Idea, never thought to use a clippie glide, thats good too, :) Clever Quilters love it !!

nursie76 09-13-2010 09:06 AM

I am impressed with your ingenuity. I think though, that because of the way the thread is wound, it is designed to feed evenly off the top, so if you put your great little thread holder gadget on the same level as the machine and then thread through your little clipper thingy, it might feed nicely without a lazy susan. Just a thought. I have a thread holder (plastic, got it for about 5 bucks), that has my thread sit upright and then has a little finger like thing above it that the thread goes up over and then to the machine and it works great. I use it primarily when I wind the bobbin with the thread I use in the bobbin for embroidery.

Rosyhf 09-13-2010 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
The thread should be coming off the top of that spool since it's a cross wound spool. Take the spool holder off the box and just set it behind your machine.

I watched a video of this thread on the new gagets deal and the guy said that the thread twist when it comes off the cone and doing it this way, it will not twist. I don't think it matters how the thread is put on a cone but I think it would be better if it didn't twist as it comes off.

I compared stitches of both ways. This way looks nicer but i don't think it such a big deal but it's free and that makes it great lol.

I did have it set behind the machine before but like this better.

quilter on the eastern edge 09-13-2010 09:10 AM

Quilters are a brilliant bunch, aren't we! :thumbup:

sharon b 09-13-2010 09:18 AM

How clever and I have one sitting right here and never thought about it :lol: Thanks for the tip :thumbup:

nursie76 09-13-2010 09:48 AM

Once again good old creativity comes through! Great Idea.

amma 09-13-2010 09:57 AM

Thank you for sharing this tip with us :D:D:D

AnnaK 09-13-2010 09:58 AM

How clever of you! Now, I'm probably dense but I don't understand what Scissor Queen and others say about cross-wound thread and that it has to come off the top... Will someone explain it so I can understand? Is'nt all thread cross-wound?